Tun cun Bar, The last resort.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rainbow Beach
December 6th 2013
Published: December 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

signs in residencesigns in residencesigns in residence

people power is alive and well in TCB
Continuing south on our journey home, we had a rendezvouz with Uncle Jack and Lyndal in Tin Can Bay, yes we like it here. We are heading south, J & L are heading north to Mackay, to go out on son petes' 40 foot cruiser for a spot of reef fishing, lucky buggers. We set the meeting place at TCB yacht club, very classy, neither of us have a yacht, but who cares? We enjoyed coffee and cake at the dolphinarium, and casually enquired as to how Tin Can Bay got its unusual name, well there are two theories, one is, that in the early days the mail came by boat and was floated up river in a tin can, well thats' a bit of a stretch, the other theory, that we like is the local indigenous name for the area, which is Tun Cun Bar, lost in translation, but it has a nice ring to it.

Morningbird the mad greeny is always on the lookout to "poo poo" big business, buggering up the natural world, and that is what is going to happen to beautiful TCB, if the big end of town gets the nod, from the authorities. These
Larry Bigshot gets his way again!Larry Bigshot gets his way again!Larry Bigshot gets his way again!

front page Gympie times
so called authorities, altruistically often seem to have a nice little kickback for themselves somewhere along the line . There is much local unrest, about the proposed 260 berth marina, to be built on serene Norman Point, housing the yacht club, dolphinarium, and coast guard facility. These local iconic buildings, will all get eviction notices so that Larry Bigshot, gets to move his Tonka trucks in and rip it all up, dredge the buggery out of the natural river system, make his quick bucks, wreck the town and then do it all again somewhere else, we have to stop these madmen from wrecking little towns like these. There is already a Marina at TCB, so why do they need another one? I hear you ask.

Don't worry I am on the case, I will get to the bottom of this, my plan was to go the source, so we planned a winters night dinner at the Marina restaurant, Uncle Jack rocked up in his jungle bus and parked camouflaged in the tropical garden car park, we were seated at sunset, under an indoor gazebo, with gas heating, with serene views over shimmering sails aloft gently swaying yachts moored on a sunset river view.

Well grasshopper, I have my ear to the ground and it seems the proponents of this monstrosity want to stop the yachties from mooring their lovely vessels in the bay. Mr. BigShot wants to build a huge boat park and flog the berths off for 70K a throw, threatening the yachties to either pay up or get out, a little bit draconian I say old chap. After all there is something beautifully aesthetic about the sight of the yachts moored in the deep bay channels. I wish the locals well in their protest, but what Mr. bigshot wants, he usually gets, well I wish he would get out of this beautiful little mediteranean seaside village, and just bugger off.

Well its time we buggered off, I don't like the look of that big black limo, chasing us around TCB, taking notes and photos of us bloody greenies, getting on their case. So Hooroo for now, Big love Morningbird and the Littleflower.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

our last hopeour last hope
our last hope

maybe this mythical creature, can scare of Larry Bigshot!
view from dolphinarium cafeview from dolphinarium cafe
view from dolphinarium cafe

just magic, please don't wreck it with your anti progress, Larry


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb