Our new Xmas family!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rainbow Beach
December 23rd 2007
Published: January 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our new family!Our new family!Our new family!

Also our new portable home for the next 3 days - a 4 wheel drive - brum brum!
Well we actually got to have a lie in this morning - we were only being collected at 12.00 midday for our kayacking in the sea - we didn't know what to do with ourselves!

The instructor picked us up and took us to the sea, was a bit cooler today but we we're all thankful that there was no rain.

The instructor for the day was not the most enthusiastic to say the least and after about 20 minutes on the water (must say I think Kayacking is not mine and Di's strong point) and no dolphins in sight he brought us ashore this little sand island for a rest and to look out for them from there.

We had a little wander and found that the island was actually home to this strange species of crabs called Soilder crabs that can't bite therefore their only protection is to bury themselves in the sand! Quite cruel to say but we actually had a little bit of fun chasing them and watching them hide themselves.

But there is only so much crab-chasing you can do before you get bored (about 10 minutes worth) so we headed back to our instructor who still hadn't sighted any dolphons. After another (boring) 20 minutes of sitting and waiting he decided to take us back on the sea and 2 minutes later we saw a group of 5 dolphins swim really close to us!

However as we had wasted so much time on the sand with the crabs, we had to head back into shore as the tide was beginning to get stronfer - boo! So out of a 3 hour trip we probably spent about 1 hour on the sea - it's a good job the trip was a freebie!

We got back in time to the hostel for the group allocating for Fraiser Island and introduced ourselves - they all seem like quite a nice bunch so far. We missed the actual video of safety on the island but our new friends told us that when you camp up at night, as there are no toliets you have to take a spade with you and dig a hole 50cm deep, do your business and then cover it back up again so the dingo's on the island can't smell it - attractive! Because of the dingo's, you can't go anywhere on your own so (including the loo breaks) so it looks like we'll all be getting a bit more closer to each other than we anticipated!

It sounds like it's going to be a proper laugh though as it's camping, also there are no showers on the island and you can't swim in the ocean due to the sharks and strong currents so things are going to get a bit smelly!

We had to put our alcohol order in as a group and I think we are all going to get along - between 11 of us we have spent 300 dollars - about 120 pounds for 2 nights boozing!

But what a way to spend Christmas, I can't wait x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb