Heading South to see the Dolphins


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rainbow Beach
April 28th 2007
Published: April 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

One of the cheapest ways to explore the east coast is to use the Greyhound bus service. To save time we opted for the overnight bus, which left at 8pm and arrived at midday the following day. This is probably not the best way to get a good nights' sleep, as every 2 hours or so we had to stop, to get out stretch legs etc. It felt like a long journey especially as to start off the journey the girl behind Nick was fidgeting intensely. Once this stopped a girl at the front decided to have a conversation with the driver - this ensured the driver was kept awake but it also ensured the rest of us were kept awake too!

The following day we arrived at Dingo's hostel, Rainbow Beach and checked into our 8 bed dorm. Most people are here for one reason, to start their 3 day adventure to Fraser Island and therefore a huge turnover of occupants in the rooms. Luckily our first night was peaceful and we woke up early to get our free pancakes.

It was then time to take to the water and kayak amongst the dolphins at Rainbow beach. We were first driven along the bumpy beach in a 4WD watching the tuna leap out of the turquoise warm waters. On the beach we were then instructed on how best to prolong our dolphin encounter. At first as we paddled out we were unsure whether we would be lucky today. However it was not long before we saw our first few bottlenose and common dolphins swim along beside us, then we met a lot more as we paddled further out to sea including a mother & calf.

It was a great experience to paddle alongside this intelligent species in the wild - such a privilege. As we made our way back to shore we soon realised it was quite exhausting paddling against the current. (It is also possible to see whales here later on in the season).

In the afternoon we attended our pre-departure meeting for our Fraser island self-drive tour. We met our team of 11, consisting of 3 Danish lads, 3 German girls, 1 Canadian girl, 2 Italians girls and us - quite a nice mix! To finish off we enjoyed our $4 Mexican meal at the hostel - very reasonable!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb