off to the Tropical North!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
February 23rd 2011
Published: March 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We caught our airport shuttle bus early in the morning up to Cairns. We were off to do our big east coast adventure! We left a mild weathered Melbourne and it was like stepping off the plane in Thailand in Cairns. The humidity just hit you straight away. We picked up our bags and got our rental car. We decided with the 3 of us it worked out better having a car and driving ourselves down to Sydney.

Dad drove us into Cairns for a quick lunch and then down to the waterfront. Cairns has a free lagoon pool right on the waterfront that you can swim in. We put our feet in and it was awesome! The water was the perfect temperature. We didn't have time to go swimming unfortunately. We walked down the boardwalk along the waterfront and enjoyed the views. Got to see a helicopter come flying in. The streets are all lined with palm trees as we are in the tropical north now.

We hopped back in the car and headed for Port Douglas. It's about an hours drive north of Cairns. It's a very windy road along the coastline. We stopped at one of the lookouts where a couple guys were setting up hang gliders. We had a bit of sun but there were dark clouds with rain rolling in. Port Douglas is a small resort town. We managed to find our apartment and got settled in. Our place is awesome! We have a balcony on either end of the apartment, one you can just get a glimpse of the ocean.

I have my own room with 2 single beds and my own tv. Then you walk through the kitchen with a bathroom on one side into mom and dads room which has another tv and the other balcony. We have our own laundry machines for free and our own bbq. We headed into town to pick up supplies (groceries and liquor haha). We decided to do a bbq for dinner. Steak, sweet potatoes and salad yum!

Dad was really wanting some rum but all the imported stuff that he likes is very expensive over here so I had told him about Bundy rum which is a local Australia rum made in the town of Bundaberg. It's not like the rum he's used to, it's a bit sweeter. I don't like the stuff anymore after getting really sick off of it one night back in Southern Cross. But he ended up buying a bottle because he got a deal on it. Well, he hates the stuff hahaha. But he'll drink it anyways haha.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb