Beach Time!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
October 19th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Four Mile BeachFour Mile BeachFour Mile Beach

Weather not good for the beach? Take pictures of it.
Well we finally slowed down enough, and got to the famous Four Mile Beach here in Port Douglas.
The weather was overcast in the morning, but by noon had cleared, so we slathered on the SPF 1400+ and risked going out for an hour. The sun was great, the water here is incredibly warm, good surf - everything you could want for a beach day. Oh, and ice cream cones afterwards! No stingers, crocs, mozzies, spiders, snakes or other "annoyances" in attendance.

Tonight we had to clear out three days worth of beer and wine allotment which hadn't been consumed yet. Somehow the potato chips and chocolate cookies have run out, but there is excess yoghurt and fruit left in the fridge.

Tomorrow we leave for Alice Springs, and the tour of Uluru (the real name for what the white man call Ayers Rock). We're staying in a hostel type place, and then 2 nights in tent camps, so likely no wireless connections for a few days.

On Sunday we board the Ghan train for an overnight ride to Adelaide. The Ghan name comes from the fact that for many years the last portion (about 500 km) of
Close Up in the SunshineClose Up in the SunshineClose Up in the Sunshine

Windy - had to get the sand off the lens.
the trip from Oodnadatta into Alice Springs was completed by camel "train". The camels were mostly from Pkistan, not Afghan, but you know .... I guess rural myths existed before urban myths.

The rail line was designed to go from Adelaide, through Alice Springs and all the way north to Darwin - great plan. It was started in 1877, and finally cokmpleted to Alice in 1929. Bet you can't guess what year it reached Darwin ........
2004. No more unfavorable comments about VIA rail, OK?





Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb