Port Douglas 28Mar - 2Apr


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
March 29th 2009
Published: March 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Great flight up from Hamilton Island to Cairns. Routed over the sea and able to see the Great Barrier Reef areas very clearly. Minibus to take us the c1hr drive up to Port Douglas and to Cayman Villas.

Very smart and up-market little town in a great position with a 4-mile beach on one side of the promontory.

Appartment is great with pool and spa, barbecue area etc.

M sure she saw Rod Stewart sitting outside one of the cafes, didn't go back to check!

30Mar - trip to the tropical rianforest village of Kuranda. Coach to Caravonica Lakes - Skyrail (cablecar) to red Peak (forest walk), Barron Falls (view of dam and waterfalls) and then Kuranda. Used to be full of hippies - not so many around these days, but interesting wander thru the original market area. Long chat with aboriginal artist and his Dutch wife.
Visit to Butterfly sanctuary and walked among 100's of beatiful butterflies incl the Cairns Birdwing (largest Aus butterfly) and the Ullyssees (beautiful blue colouring).
Back from Kuranda by railway.

31st Mar - visit to outer Great Barrier Reef on the Quicksilver III catamaran to their platform on the Agincourt Reef. Great weather, calm seas, good visibility. Staff said it was the best day for ages for fish and visibility. Snorkelling, semi-submersible boat trip and underwater observatory.

1st April - morning on 4-mile beach - swim within the Stinger net area - and walk along the fantastic smooth clean firm sand.
Back to villa for lunch and afternoon swim in pool.
Evening trip on the "Lady Douglas" up the Pt Douglas creek: saw 3 crocodiles (one very large came very close to boat and lunged at fishes that had been excited by fish food!, saw Sea Eagle which also swooped down to take fish, kingfishers, sunbird etc. Then out to edge of see for great view of sunset over the hills.

Round off with excelent dinner at 'Salsa' restaurant!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb