it's all about top fives


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
September 15th 2008
Published: September 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

can't believe we've done as much as we have in two weeks - though nothing seems rushed so it just goes to show how much time a day can afford you. judging from the good responses to hel's blog i think i'm going to have to take a slightly different approach... so over the next 12 months i'm going to try and capture a 'round the world in top fives'. what do i mean?

why top fives, top five:

1. 'top tens' is too easy - it's only fun when you have to rule things out as well as in to a 'top five'
2. '100 best or 1001 before you die' - all far too long
3. 'top fives' with limitless topics (see rules of top fives) will help capture a lot of the randomness a year's travelling will hopefully throw up; thoughts, happenings, places, people, etc.
4. it'll fit my attention span...
5. ... and probably/hopefully that of most of the people who might occasionally read this blog

so a couple of top fives to kick off with:

top five 'hope to gain from a year round the world'

1. fun with helen
2. broaden perspective
3. learn patience
4. gain knowledge - particularly about our physical environment
5. open possibilities about 'what next'

(i feel i might have cheated a little - talk about broad categories! still it will be interesting to reflect back on)

top five 'lessons in the first two weeks of oz'

1. don't go for a run bare foot on four mile beach in port douglas when you still have soft live-under-a-desk- soles. blisters from the 'rough' sand on nearly every toe. several days of walking funny.
2. osmosis. hurrah for daintree rainforest expert dave and some back to basic biology
3. from nervous wreck to finding nemo in 4 days - we're padi open water divers and the reef is amazing
4. yes, the ozzies and the kiwi's do take rugby union as seriously as we do... witness one tri nations decider in the central hotel pd. awesome game, fantastic atmosphere (even if most of the noise came from the crew of our dive boat!)
5. sharks, harmless - snakes, harmless (relatively... don't step on them) - crocodiles, evolutionary perfection as killing machines, don't mess!



Advertisement



30th September 2008

What!
Thought you'd learned from those holidays in Jard with Learoyd never to run anywhere in barefeet especially on a beach Didn't we sit you in front of enough David Attenborough films and that guy in oz that jo met, who is now not with us, never go near a crocodile or are you Peter Pan Always breathe slow, deeply and gulp air what ever Why did I learn from one of your brothers that you were doing a blog, don't worry I won't embarrass you??!!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb