rainforests, gorges and other such exciting things!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
September 3rd 2005
Published: September 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

in the jungle, the mighty jungle...in the jungle, the mighty jungle...in the jungle, the mighty jungle...

well, kinda :) tis the daintree rainforest
hellooooo!!!

well, saturday was super fun! i hired a car with bex and celia (two girls from tasmania) and we drove up to cape tribulation. cape tribulation is an area about 50km north of here maybe (not too good with the whole distance thing!) in an area called the daintree national park. its the only place in the whole big wide world where the rainforest actually meets the sea. its the most amazingly beautiful area.

on the way up you have to cross the daintree river via a little mini ferry that literally takes about 2 minutes.

we went on the dubuji boardwalk which is a 2km walk through the rainforest to myall beach. alas, we saw no crocodiles, cassowaries (evil dinosaur like 2m tall birdies that have a blue head and can disembowel you with their toe nail - apparently they are endangered but still very common in north queensland. goodo!) or wildlife of any sort, but i have never seen such hugely tall trees. and the colours and plants that we sawy were just amazing.

myall beach was gorgeous. the most beautiful tropical beach, totally secluded and tranquil. so we set up camp there for a few hours, had some lunch, did some sun bathing (or sun baking as the ozzies refer to it 😊). ah, and i somehow managed to break the clasp on my bikini top which was pretty embarrassing and yet hilarious at the same time *blush* 😊 hehe.

on the way back i drove 😊 how exciting 😊 the road was right next to a huge big cliff, which, provided us with amazing views throughout the journey, but was actually bloody scary when you were actually trying to not go over the edge! but i managed to get back ok 😊 so tis all good! we stopped at alexander lookout which has some beautiful views of the reef and port douglas and some of the surrounding islands. it still amazes me how diverse this country is and how totally breath-taking the landscapes can be.

we also stopped off at mossman gorge which you can actually swim in, but we got there at about 5pm and the water was freezing so we decided against going in 😊 quite sensible i think!!! ooooh, and little bit of excitment - some sort of bush turkey or chicken or something decided to jump
cape tribulationcape tribulationcape tribulation

"where the rainforest meets the reef". apparently :)
out in front of us and scared us all half to death!

on sunday i had a lazy day, twas great!! went to the port douglas market which is down by the sea, so so picturesque and beautiful. wonderful little market too. i think the rest of my day involved laying on the beach, ho hum! 😊
ah yes. as if i could forget the dramas of sunday night. i mentioned my bikini top fiasco didn't i? well, i got some superglue, in an effort to fix said bikini top. only when i opened the superglue tube it went everywhere. as in, it spilt. all over my hand. small victory, i managed not to stick my hand to anything, including itself. however, this didn't stop my whole hand from goin white and solidifying. oops. total panic ensued. went down to reception who found the whole thing quite hilarious and i ended up having to soak my hand in a sink full of kerosene for half an hour!!!!!!!!!!! i smelt lovely afterwards 😊 (but it did actually do the trick, phew!) how embarassing!!!!!!

never a dull moment! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



22nd September 2005

Aww swish glue hands 10 point to lindsey

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb