NORMANTON


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Normanton
July 18th 2011
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Krys the Savannah KingKrys the Savannah KingKrys the Savannah King

I wanted to lay in his jaws for the photo opp it provided but found it a bit awkward to get in their so thought I'd better save embarrasment!
Normanton was definately an experience! Not bad to visit for a short time and see what I think is a true outback aussie town. Lots of red dirt, a couple of pubs, and a couple of touristy photo oportunities. But I did tell Peter that if he ever got a crazy idea that he wanted to live here he would have to shoot me and the dog first! No offense Normanton but it's too hot and too many flies and no shops...amoungst other things.
Off course had to get my photo taken with "Krys the Savannah King" crocodile. It is a true life size replica of a crocodile that was shot up here in the 70's. It's so big it's a bit unbelievable.
Also was amazed at how big the yabbies are here. Got the secret spot off the van park owner and was very impressed with our catch. Only tried a couple of times as it was a bit of a drive from the park and we have worked out that we have to check our pot every couple of hours or else they walk straight back out once they have finished all the bait.
The Normanton Tourist Park is the only park in Normanton and like everyhwere else we have been it is full to capacity with travellers...mostly grey nomads. The park is on top of an arteisian spring which they use for all their hot water in the park (It is very hot, like volcanic hot and apparently very good for you with all the minerals etc) Just can't drink it. Have to admit my hair did feel nice after wahsing it.

We had the pleasure of experiencing the locals in party mode. This explains the high police presence in town. Normanton V Doomadge. Unfortunatley the visitors won which then created the need for the locals to drown their sorrows. Till 8am the next morning! It really did sound like a Palm Island type riot was happening out in the streets.

Also learnt that we need to keep everything locked up. 2 nights in a row our neighbouring campers had all their valubles stolen while they were asleep right next to them. One guy was in a swag about a foot from his car door which they opened and took numerous things from and he didn't hear a thing! None of us did. All the police said was that they are very good up here. Lock everything!

Probably one night here would have been enough for us but we were waiting for a campsite to become available at Karumba. Very popular palce Karumba...it can hold 3000 tourists and was booked out. Normaly would have no chance if we were after a powered site or a unit but because we are in a tent and don't need power we were lucky. Otherwise we should have rung and booked 6 months ago apparently.

Also only catfish in Normanton River. Got our last LPG here for a while I'd say. $1.20 which is not too bad considering our location and we need it for fuel range to go up the cape.

Just out of Normanton we came accross a nice area to free camp just before the turnoff to Chillagoe beside a creek. No facilities of course but good for a night away from the whole van park scenario.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The Purple PubThe Purple Pub
The Purple Pub

What a great looking pub. In real life it is very purple even though my photo makes it look blue.


Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb