Welcome To The Jungle


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa
April 1st 2006
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was the long awaited day of my 3 day, 2 night canoe trip into the Noosa Everglades. I was picked up early from the hostel where I met a couple of my fellow expeditioners including my Canoe partner Gemma - a fellow Manchester '05 Graduate.

Having loaded our gear into waterproof drums we were soon on a boat across Lake Cootharaba to pick up our canoes ready for the paddle upstream. We arrived at a bizarre information point suspended on stilts above the river water, and it was here we were able to read about the 4 metre bull sharks and venomous snakes that populate the river system.

We soon loaded the canoes, and narrowly avoided taking our heads off on a sign as we struggled to get used to stearing the overloaded cumbersome boats. Eventually steering was figured out wna we were able to make our way up to our campsite at Harrys Hut (although there wasnt really a hut there....)

Within a few hours of paddling up the pristine river through the dense rainforest we arrived at our campsite, and pitched camp before heading off for a stroll into the forest. Paranoia was rife amongst the group as every branch was thought the be a snake, every lead a spider and every slightest movement a que to jump!

We went for a bit of a paddle in the afternoon before preparing dinner, and downing a few glasses of goon, and hitting the sack by 22:00.

Advertisement



3rd April 2006

Nice feeties!

Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 21; qc: 94; dbt: 0.2042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb