sorry Sydney, we're not coming back just yet....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa Heads
March 4th 2006
Published: March 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

yoooo mates, kayla here. i'm not too sure what hails wrote in the last blog but i'll fill you in on what has happened since we left surfers (finally...we were there for 2 and half weeks, but we loved it, NO regrets.) k, before we left on wednesday the 2nd of march i took my first surfing lesson!!!! hails wasn't feeling up to it that day, but i was pumped to try it out. i got up early and headed down to the beach. the surfing lessons in surfers are quite reasonable compared to sydney ($40 for 2 hours). i went to the Cheyne Horan school of surf. if you haven't heard of cheyne horan he's a world class surfer, a veteran. unfortunatly he's in hawaii right now surfing but they have awesome instructors. i can't remember my instructors name but he was a crazy aussie surfer guy. the surfer's here where this white stuff on there lips to protect themselves from the sun... i found myself distracted because it was kinda gross, but better than skin caner i guess. okay.,...getting side-tracked here, so yah the lesson was 2 hours long, and it was so FUN....SO SO SO hard, but by the end i was standing! yeaaaaaaaaahhhhh i have pictures to prove....i'll get them up on this site ASAP), snowboarding definatley helped me with this sport. it's simiair, but surfing is much harder. not only physically, but there are so many tactics and information you have to learn about wave selection, rips etc. it was really fun and i can't wait to do it again. i might even do a 5 day surf trip once we get back to sydney.....we'll see.

okay we left for brisbane that afternoon. we had to take the bus from surfers to Nerang, then hop on the train for 45 mins to get to brisbane. it wasn't too bad, except the weather has been really rainy for the past week. we arrived in brisbane at 4pm, called a couple hostels and reserved a room at Bunk Backpackers. they picked us up from the transit center, checked in and headed up to our 8 person dorm (23/night). k guys, this hostel was AMAZING. sooo clean, modern, and they have a really cool bar attached to the hostel which we later found out was really popular. it was PACKED on friday night....music was little loud to fall asleep to but lucky for me i can just pop my ear-plugs in and pass-out! (for everyone who has made fun of me for wearing ear-plugs all these years, i have NO shame...they have come in handy while sharing a room with 7 opther ppl letme tell yah...)

k the next day was raining but we decided to stick it out and go to the Mt. Coot-tha reserve, and botanic gardens. we missed the hostel shuttle so we had to take the city bus there. this proved to be a challenge..it took forever to find the right bus-stop, even with my trusty lonley planet book. we eventually found it, too bad we were 5 minutes late! we had to wait another hour for the next one. we called home (sorry for hanging up on you nik, and cindy 😞
and while we were on the phone i saw number 471 drive by, which was the bus we were waiting for! it was early so we had to chase it down the street! the sidewalk was too busy with ppl so i booked it down the road...you should have seen my long legs running so fast to try and catch up to it. it was priceless.. i was screaming to hailey to run , while dodging ppl and cars down-town brisbane. BUT we made it. once we got to the botanic gardens we walked around for a bit, it was raining so we didn't get to see all of it, then we had to wait for ANOTHER bus to take us up the mountain to the look-out. once we finally made it to the top it was gorgeous. you can see the whole city from the look out- and im sure we could have seen the ocean too if it was a but clearer out. took come nice pics, then whaat did we do after that? im sure you can guesss......waited for anther bus. by this point we were a little annoyed of waiting in the rain, but whatevs. thats what happens right? we are soooooooooooooooooo much more tolerable now. of eachother, and ppl around us. things hardly ever work out the way we plan so we just have to deal with it.

okay... our friend kristin from surfers joined us at Bunk that night for 2 days. we got ahold of the Billabong guys and they took us out that night. it was really fun, we were right near china town and all the bars. the area of brisbane that we were in was called "the valley".

the next day was raining so we went to see a movie at this AMAZING old theater down-town brisbane....they are really behind in movies here. one of the previews was for "march of the penguins"! weird.
that night (friday) we went to our hostel bar again, it was packed tonight. pitchers of snake bite (beer, cider, and grenadine....so good) were only $7. score.

today(saturday..) we got on the bus to head for Noosa. a really cute little beach lagoon town. we are staying here for maybe 2 days then heading to Hervey bay, then doing the fraser island tour. we are just waiting for this bad weather to pass. we bought a bus pass today for unlimited travel up to cairns. so we aren't heading back to sydney for another month at least! we also decided that we are going to Fiji before me head home... how exciting is that....... can't wait
k gotta go miss everyone LOTS. we love you so much! kayla and hailey.

Advertisement



4th March 2006

yooo guys, its nice to knwo soem other fellow dundas kids are out there enjoying the world, it soudns like you two are havin a stellar time...we are in Laos right now, I imagaine its a bit different than australia...represent dundas all voer the world...
5th March 2006

Hey girls - sounds like you are having a fabulous time. Great idea to keep going north. Fraser Island is fantastic - gotta be one of the best places in australia. We'll keep checking in your blog to see what you are up to....take care,Margie etc etc
5th March 2006

miss you
Hey Kayla: how's it going? sounds like you're having a blast. I'm glad to hear that you two girls are doing a lot of sightseeing (not just the guys in speedos,ha ha)everyone up here is doing good. talk to you soon. keep safe.
6th March 2006

Wow
Hey gals, sounds like you are havn a fab time. Just now read yur blogs, am fasinated and jealous! I (A.Laura) went to a travel presentation this aft and got me thinkn about you guys havn the time of your lives. Will u get to New Zealand? I heard that Aussies and NZer's have a major rivalry goin on, is that true? I'm told that New Zealand is not to be missed, hope you get a chance to see it. Hope you put this all on a disk or something, it would be awesome to see all the pics and stories together. Sorry, Im ramblin. Chels and Car say hi!Take care, luv Unc Rich,A.Laura,Chels and Car.
6th March 2006

Surfer Chicks
Hey u 2 beach bums , don't get to use to the easy life. Your adventure sounds great and we miss you 2 very much, but man what a life and a experience your having. Meet any ( blokes) hahaha Iam looking forward to hearing all about Fraser Island it's supposed be so beautifull and the Great Barrier Reef . Be carefull Sailing Love Ya and Miss. P.S I loved Evans note to ya, he is right represent Dundas! And as they say in Oz Catch Ya Later. XOXO Mom
10th March 2006

On a trek I see!
Hi Hailey, your cuz here, I see that the labels and fashion are still your passion! Sounds like you're having fun. My mom and dad went on the Whitsunday's sailing trip that you mentioned back when we were in Sydney for the olympics. They said it was beautiful. You'll also have great fun back in Darling Harbour when you get back to Sydney, the Farrands are the best hosts! Have fun, keep safe and I'll message again soon, love, Tania xoxo
12th March 2006

wut up gurls
Hey u 2, i hope everything is going well and you are staying out of trouble. hahah i'm not one to be telling you that since i'd probably be going wild down under. I've been telling everyone of your trip and all my friends are jealous and we all wish we would have taken advantage of such an experience when we were younger. (wow do i feel old)....HAILS, gurllllll i misssss u like crazy, i hope you are representing your abramovich sistas reallll well down there. Glad to hear you are going out to the bars down there ;)....you know that is definitily what i would be doing. Well i hope you 2 are having a good time, and make sure you manage your money and keep healthy, cause you don't wanna get stuck down there....or do you?!?!? ahahaha Bye Ladies, Love Stephy

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb