Crickey! Australia Zoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa Heads
January 17th 2007
Published: February 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had a thoroughly enjoyable day at the zoo the best bit was getting up close to a lot of the animals. At every opportunity the pubic were encouraged to get involved. The only down side to our visit was that Steve Irwin was no longer there to strut his stuff in the Crocoseum. Although he has built up an unforgettable legacy you could feel the zoo missed his presence. The large memorial and many boards filled with pictures of his exploits brought to you a sorrow for his untimely departure and a sympathy for poor little Bindy who has been seemingly positioned into the unenviable job of filling the great mans shoes.

Throughout the day we got to see all the animals that were native to Australia, a lot more than we had imagined. The Cassowary was a bit special with its horned head and bright blue neck.

The crocodile show was good fun and although I didn’t get very good pictures I assure you they have very big teeth!! It was funny to go and see some of the crocodiles that had been made famous on Steve’s TV show. We enjoyed lunch next to Agro’s enclosure, watching him slowly glide up and down his pond keeping his beady eye on anyone passing by.

One of the good moments came later on in the afternoon when we were walking through the Kangaroo enclosure. Here the Kangaroo’s are left to their own devices and so, unfortunately are the visitors. It was annoying to watch people walking up to the kangaroo's who were just laid out relaxing and shoving a hand full of 80cent kangaroo food in their faces. You could see there was a bucket load of the stuff all over the floor in front of them yet people would still stick their hand right up in the Kangaroo’s face. A little girl did it to a kangaroo that Jo was busy stroking, just marched over, reached into her bag of food and shoved it up against the animals mouth. I had to tell her that the kangaroo probably didn’t like that and that it was more than likely full. So off she went to the next one, backing it up against the fence so it couldn’t escape. Only this time the roo gave her a little nip much to my amusement, little bugger, someone should have been supervising her, but perhaps it would be better if the zoo stopped selling the food altogether.

We also enjoyed some close up encounters with the Kaola’s and elephants. Jo got to feed the elephants after standing inline with all the kids ; ) and even though there was an obvious look of panic in her face as the elephants trunk reached out towards her, she swears blind she enjoyed it!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Glass House MountainsGlass House Mountains
Glass House Mountains

captured on our scenic drive back to Noosa
NoosavilleNoosaville
Noosaville

Noosa is about 40 mins from the Zoo and was our base for a couple of days. Really nice town quite upmarket with designer shops, gallaries and restuarants inbetween hotels and apartment looking over the beach. Then just behind the main street were lots of canals like this one with big boats moared outside.


8th February 2007

G`day! Cant quite decide which one was the wombat!! Keep enjoying yourselves, looks nearly as much fun as we are having sleepless nights with gracey!! Bye for now, jase, Ness and THE Girls!!
19th February 2007

Will you two please hurry up and put some more stuff on this blog??? we need something to read during our lunch breaks!!!!
21st February 2007

joey...
Joey burgers a plenty I hear, see working in LA bowel has paid off at last, either that or there will be an epidemic of food poisoning in OZ. Sorry i missed your call jo-jo ...bet you timed it really so that id be at work. Hope you are well ben, I can sympathise with you spending all that time with one of the daffin mob...keep up the good work. We will forward on some piccys soon....we promise!! Bye for now, Jase , Ness and the Girls. xxx

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb