More rainforest photos!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
August 28th 2009
Published: February 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Bonfire timeBonfire timeBonfire time

Fellow workers at one of our nightly bonfires
Another month has passed, and we're still living in the rainforest. Every 'one more week' seems to turn into "Let's just wait another week" and thus we've delayed our departure more times than I can count. The 50 acres of UNESCO World Heritage rainforest, gorgeous secluded beaches and warm ocean water, are really make leaving difficult. We finally have a leaving date now though, and we'll be heading onwards next week. It's been an incredible few months, full of unique wildlife, great weather, and wonderful people. We've had some amazing experiences here that we will definitely not forget, and it will be hard to leave. We've become close to everyone here, and even the cassowaries feel like members of the family.

As for cassowary news, a fair amount has happened in the past month. Since we last wrote, Barbara has successfully kicked the baby out of the nest, and her and Stu have been frequently spotted together. Adam and I actually stumbled across them in the forest in a very compromising situation ("Adam, what's going on with Barbara's bum?") After the baby was forced out on its own, he/she was often heard wailing for dad. It was a bit heartbreaking to hear, especially considering that the chances of this little guy or girl surviving are very slim. These birds have so much working against them. Firstly, their forest territory is quickly diminishing; the cassowaries are very territorial birds, and also need a lot of space and food to live off. Secondly, new roads and increased traffic are a major threat to them, as are new fences being put up every day, which blocks off their land, their food supply, and separates families. Lastly, dogs are a big problem around here. Many people let their dogs run free and we too often hear of cassowaries being attacked by dogs. So far though, the baby here seems to be doing well, but it will be interesting to hear what happens after a new baby is born in this upcoming mating season and space becomes even tighter.

We definitely hope to make it back here at some point. Sanctuary is one of those rare places that is truly a nature-oriented eco retreat. I only hope it can stay around forever, as it is a vital factor in helping to conserve this pristine rainforest habitat.

Next week we'll be visiting Cairns and will hopefully make it out to the Great Barrier reef. Then we'll be heading to South Australia to visit some friends in the country, who also want to take us camping in the red and purple hills of the Flinders Ranges. It will be a completely different terrain and climate from here, and while we're a little sad to be leaving tropical North Queensland, we're looking forward to experiencing a different Aussie lifestyle.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb