Mission Beach and White Water Rafting!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
June 10th 2009
Published: June 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey Guys,

Well for those who were concerned- We survived it!! We had the most amazing day, the weather was gorgeous the water was clear and the river was violent!!

We started off this morning nice and early by getting kitted up. We hired some rather attractive sandals and had to wear a nice yellow life jacket and red helmet- we looked special! we made our way down to the river where we were put into groups and introduced to our guide Karen. After a quick safety chat we started on our first rapids- he alarm clock rapids, so named because they wake you right up. It was rough but our guide was good and we managed not to fall out to much. On the next few rapids Sophie got a nice set of bruises on her leg but we were still inside the raft. They also let us swim in some ogf the pools at the bottom of the rapids which was really fun but a lot harder work than you'd imagine given the huge life jacket we had on.

We then came to some rapids called Guides Revenge where the raft is sure to tip so we all got to the front of the raft and held to eachother and fell in backwards, it was so much fun. We also jumped off a rock which was about 10ft out of the water. There was a little hesitation at the top but we both took the plunge. Our guide was taking a qualification so we had to dilebratley tip the raft in a hole. We paddled towards the whole and pulled the raft over. we then had to tip it back over again and jump back in- easier said than done whilst floating downstream towards rapids. We all managed but more injuries were sustained and Grace has got some gorgeous bruises from helping other people back into the boat. We we're the only group privaleged enough to do that!

We stopped for lunch at the side of the river where we got a BBQ- Meat woohoo! We sat in the sun and caught some rays for a bit to warm us up, the water is pretty cold. When we got back into the raft we went down some pretty stong rapids which were in deep water. when we got to the bottom the guide asked if we would like to swim the rapids, so we did. We walked back up the river bank and walked into the river as far as possible before diving in and swimming into the middle while the current took us. You have to do it on your back, feet first, so that your feet will hit the rocks instead of your head. It was so much fun but there were a few bits where you couldn't catch your breath because the water was in your face.

We were on the river for the whole day and we rode rapids backwards forwards and sideways. It is one of the best thing we have ever done and we would love to have a go again. So glad we decided to have a go in Oz and not New Zealand because we were cold in the baking sun but to be fair we only had bikini tops and shorts on.

I hope everyone has noticed we managed to upload pics! It's taken two 2hour interent sessions but we've done it!

kepp smiling in sunny England- We miss you!!

Love and kisses from two very happy girls!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



10th June 2009

Rafting
So pleased you had a great time, would love to have been there. Sophie must be happy to have got some bruises to brag about. Keep the blogs going they are the highlight of my day. Mxxxx

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb