Sunday June 22nd: White Water Rafting


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The bus picked us up today at 7:50 to go white water rafting. After a short stop at the companies offices to meet all the people who had come down from Cairns we were off. The venue was the Tully River. It was a perfect place as Tully, the town receives 4.5 metres of rain per year and also because there is a hydroelectric facility upstream which regulates the amount of water flowing making rafting possible 365 days a year. Because of all this rain Tully is also very productive agriculturally producing 60% of Australias bananas, part of which comes from the largest banana plantation in the southern hemisphere. After getting our gear on and meeting our groups we were off. The reafting was awesome. Our guide Mick who had been doing this for 8 years helped make it as good as it way by flipping the raft, spinning the raft through small rapids, letting us jump off a large boulder into a deep section of the river and letting us float down the calmer parts of the river. The river also involved a complementary lunch about 1/3 of the way down the river. In total we traveled 16 km down stream and 180 metres down vertically. After all this we went back to their cafe, purchased a photo CD with 60 photos of the day. After receiving the photos we got dropped back at the hostel for the night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb