what was i thinking?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
September 9th 2005
Published: September 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

hmmmm, how cocky was i feeling when i got up decided that it would be a good idea to go sky diving?! after being told all night by mark and kev (two dead nice blokies from ireland who we went out with) that it was great fun i decided that i really would have to see for myself. so when the lady at the tour desk said " we can fit you in at about 1.00pm" i nearly had a fit. that's totally no time to back out!!! still, i guess that's a good thing, otherwise i never would have done it!!!!!! so i opted for the 14,000 feet sky dive. i reasoned that if i was going to jump out of a plane there really wasn't going to be much difference between doing it at 10,000 feet and doing it at 14,000 feet. and since i was only going to do it once, i might as well do it properly!!!!!!!!!!

went for a walk along the beach, somehow managed to get lost, although i'm not really sure how, because it was a straight line. hm. oooh, and i found a coconut! so i tried to crack it. but failed miserably 😞 ah well.

how quickly did 1.00pm roll round?! i was soooooo nervous. i think that may actually be the understatement of the century. we got to the sky diving place and "suited up" which wasn't the most comfortable experience :s my jump buddy person was called adam - thank god they don't let you do it on your own and strap you to someone who claims to know what they're doing 😊

i can't even begin to describe the fear that i felt in my stomach when we had to get into this tiny weeny little airplane. and when it took off. oh. my. god. the plane ride itself would have actually been quite pleasant if it wasn't for the fact that i knew it was only a matter of time before i had to jump out of the plane! and by that point i don't think i actually had a choice. i was strapped to someone who was going to jump out of that plane whether i liked it or not!!!!
ah, and the view was pritty 😊 not that i actually took it in...
when they opened that door and people started jumping out
oh the fear!oh the fear!oh the fear!

and the nervous laughter...
i think i felt physically sick. and i don't remember ever feeling quite as scared as when i had to move forward, hang my legs outside the plane and then adam jumped. argh! i screamed. i screamed like a girl. and i'm not ashamed to say it, because i think anyone in my place would have done!!! i've never been so scared in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm so glad that he had control over when to jump because i know i wouldn't have been able to make myself do it!!!

you freefall for about a minute, but it seems like so much longer. its the most exhilarating feeling. absolutely amazing. and the views were astounding. we were up over the great barrier reef and loads of little tropical islands. apparently its rated as one of the best drop zones/places to sky dive in australia. i actually (shock horror!) began to let go and enjoy myself!! your mouth gets really dry though and you can feel your skin flapping (lovely!).

then the parachute goes and you carry on 'falling' till you land on the beach 😊 i guess it took maybe three minutes from actaully jumping(read as "being pushed out") to landing.

i couldn't stop shaking when i actually landing, you feel all weak and stuff, and then once that's passed you're actually totally pumped with adrenalin. i'm so so pleased that i actually did it - dead proud of myself. it was the most fantastic experience. but i think that i can safely say that i will NEVER be doing it again 😊 once is enough!!!

aaaahh, and i got a dvd of the whole thing - proof! hehe. (if you're lucky i might let you watch it... i watched it with a few people the next morning and it's hilariously embarassing!)

ps, please excuse the photos - there really is no "glamourous" way to sky dive 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

hello!hello!
hello!

me over the great barrier reef :)
phew!phew!
phew!

how glamorous do i look, hehe.


22nd September 2005

wow looks cool, thats one of the things I probably wouldnt do :P Well done :)
22nd September 2005

WOW WOW WOW!!! Sounds like SUCH a wonderful time!!!! More importantly - no mention of any snogs yet......? Ozzies love the english accent.......
24th September 2005

AHH
Bloody crazy I say!!! Cant say Id do it myself.. sober anyway.. but at least now I can say "my cuzin did it!!". hope u ok. sounds like your having the best time.. xxxxxxx
27th September 2005

oh my god!!!
lindsey i cannot believe it!!!! i would have totally pooped my self i'm so proud!
4th October 2005

Well done
I'm so jealous.. you were so brave... brilliant read.

Tot: 0.473s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb