On the Road from Cairns to Townsville


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mareeba
July 18th 2012
Published: August 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

The diving tour was our last activity in Cairns. So after a goodbye BBQ with the people we first met at the hostel, we took the road again, heading south but first more in the land than along the coast. The aim of going in the land was first to discover new landscapes and ways of living than the chilling out on beaches. And second to look for farm jobs.





On the way, we saw many beautiful waterfalls, and we were especially lucky with some particular ones, the Barron Falls: as we were there on the tourist boardwalk, quite far from the huge falls, taking pictures, enjoying the amazing landscape and the natural environment, we started a conversation with a guy who happened to be an aboriginal from that area. We talked for quite a while, and after he told us about his life, his tribe's history, their habits and more, he offered himself as a guide to get to see the waterfalls from closer. Of course we accepted at once, and he then led us through tiny paths in the forest, that only his tribe knew, we ended up above the waterfalls, and just swam and dived in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by these gorgeous hills, as he was still telling us about the aboriginal culture. Again, this experience was absolutely amazing, and is probably the most authentic one we've had so far.





On the way South we stopped at the Granite Gorges, were we got to see plenty of wallabies, these kangaroo-like animals that were so used to humans that they would even eat from people's hand!





And also to be mentioned, the Innot Hot Springs, water that come from the Earth at about 80 degrees, which enabled us to finally have a hot shower after so many days!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st August 2012
panoramic view of the gorges

difficult to imagine what is like to live that kind of aventure, your photographies are absolutely wonderful and i'm glad you have the opportunity to live that!! (ok mon anglais est approximatif ^^) et j'adooore le duo au volant avec la guitare! :) besos

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb