Kuranda


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Kuranda
February 12th 2010
Published: February 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Kerry & RobKerry & RobKerry & Rob

On board the train
Another early start today, we arrive at Cairns Central Station at 8am and head for our tickets, today we are due to travel up by train on the scenic railway and down by skyrail. We have also booked tickets for Birdworld, Butterfly Sanctuary, Koala Land and Venom Zoo.

We saw birds free flying in the aviary and Rob made friends with one or two! You will see Rob's expression change on the picture that was because the bird actually bit him and drew blood!

Next the butterflies, i was lucky enough to have the rare blue butterfly land on me, the difficult part was getting the picture to show this! We also had access to the breeding lab and had a guided tour with amazing facts - the best being the female is the dominator! and when butterflies mate it can last anything from 14hrs to a week!

We also visited Koala Land (very similar to the Daintree Rainforest Habitat). Except this time we saw fresh water crocodiles!

When entering the zoo we were given discount vouchers for Venom Zoo - here we saw scorpions, tarantulas, snakes and spiders (including the funnel web) all native and extremely dangerous!

We had an aussie pie for lunch (not as tasty as back home - the meat here tastes strange - Kerry is almost veggie). Kerry did the squirt yourself with the sauce trick and ended up covered in ketchup!

At 3.45pm we headed to the skyrail terminal and got the first cabin to Barron Falls to take more photos, then Red Peak before landing back in Cairns - very exciting mode of transport - we were 40.5m up in the rainforest canopy!

A very good day out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Kerry Again . . .Kerry Again . . .
Kerry Again . . .

This time a lil ratty!
BobBob
Bob

Reverted back to hippy hood!
Tall RockTall Rock
Tall Rock

This was erected in honour of the man who led the team that built the railway


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb