Great Keppel Island/Port Clinton


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Great Keppel Island
July 26th 2007
Published: August 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Departed Rosslyn Bay as soon as the winds subsided and went to Great Keppel Island, only a couple of hours away, I really wanted to see this property as I have send so many of my customers and I haven’t seen it.
Great beach front and very large resort, lots of sports facilities and a great number of wild life specially the Rosella’s, as you can see by the photos they are not scared of people, all the contrary they know that you have food and they attack anything in site. Its wonderful to see so many of them.
We spend the night on the north side of the island and left the next morning north to Port Clinton.
It took us about 5 hours, without sailing again as the wind were not going the right direction.
On the way we cached a 4-5 kilos Tuna, which we originally thought it was a Mackerel, it was enormous like the ones in the photos in fishing magazines that you think you will never get, we were so happy to finally get a really big one.
When we arrived into Port Clinton we had to show this monster to our friends Peter and Sherry, they arrived the same day as us from Roselyn Bay, but to our disappointment it wasn’t a Mackerel but a Tuna which Peter told us that it wasn’t eatable....can you imagine all that fish and not eatable.....maybe good for bait....anyway after seeing my disappointment Peter got his fish book to make sure that this fish was what he thought, but lucky for us it was a Tuna but the kind that you can eat, so that night we all had a beautiful Tuna dinner. The rest of the body and head it was used as crab beat, Rex and Peter had 4 crab nets in the mangroves and got 2 humongous crabs, the trip into the mangroves to check on the nets was a an adventure on its own, we got the nets ready in the morning on an out going tide, and check them again on high tide at night, around 10:30pm, we where so high up the trees about 4 meters that I could not believe it was he same place I saw in the morning.
That day we had a feast of crab and fish as we had a fantastic day fishing, and had so much fun.
Instead of staying 2 days we stayed 4, the place is so nice and the amount of turtles and dolphins was amassing. The turtles are very big and they kept an eye on us while fishing on the dingy, popping up to catch there breath, we could see 5 to 6 at a time.
The fishing was great, the views were great and the weather was hot during the day, but still cold at night.
We have become very close to Peter and Sherry, as we have a lot in common, we enjoy the same type of
activities and a game of cards. We have shared a few meals together and a drink or two.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb