Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Great Barrier Reef
November 19th 2007
Published: July 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another early start, but this time we had to get to the reef terminal under our own steam; we did, however, have enough time for a quick brekkie before departing at 8.00 am for the reef. We went with an outfit called Sea Star in a very fast boat for 40, but there were only 12 of us aboard which made it appear very roomy. On the way out, around 8.30, we passed the Van Gogh on the way into Cairns from Darwin and M videoed them, just as they videoed us!

At about 9.15 am we arrived at Michaelmas Cay a small sandy island in the middle reef containing a bird sanctuary. It is situated in a National Park 21 miles east of Cairns. The park consists of two small cays (the second island being Upolu Cay) on Michaelmas Reef which forms the north-eastern section of the Arlington Reef Complex, within the Great Barrier Reef.

Access to these islands is tightly regulated and Sea Star is one of only 3 companies with a commercial permit to visit this island. We spent 2 and a half hours looking at the coral and fish. M took a tour with the Sea Star team whilst D did his own thing with an underwater camera purchased on the boat. Lunch on-board before we set off again, comprising prawns and salad, BBQ chicken wings and veggie lasagna.

Hastings Reef on the outer reef was our next port of call. This was hard coral as opposed to soft coral and, unfortunately, a fair amount was barren. There were no landing points on this reef and we did all of our snorkeling from the back of the craft which had a full width, above water line platform, and 2 sets of steps for sea access. Others did their SCUBA dives. M was again feeling unwell and didn't go in for the second session but contented herself with half an hour in a glass bottom boat which is left on the reef. D, meanwhile, continued his new role as underwater photographer. We stayed on this reef until about 3.30 pm when we were all called back on-board for afternoon tea and cake before our return to Cairns. (They'd hate this, but the Aussies are so like the Brits). We arrived back about 4.45 pm after a very speedy and rough crossing, being buffeted all the way.

We took a photo or two of Cairns on the way in and one of the Van Gogh in the berth next to the Reef Terminal. We walked back to the Van Gogh and finished the evening with dinner followed by an Aboriginal evening as part of the ship's entertainment. A very good day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb