Nemo is alive and well


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Great Barrier Reef
March 22nd 2015
Published: March 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

We found NemoWe found NemoWe found Nemo

Nemo is alive and well and living with his parents off the Low Isles, Port Douglas. The family survived Tropical Cyclone Nathan and send their regards.
Today was Great Barrier Reef day. We were collected at 0820 and transported to Port Douglas Marina and shown to our boat. Well our replacement boat as the one we had booked had gone technical, water pump or something. So seven of us boarded this massive catamaran capable of taking well over one hundred. We were greeted by the captain a delightful young lady called Alicia, and the crew Joe another delightful young english lady and Mal a delightful young english man. After tea and muffins we set sail. We were surprised how rough the sea was on the way out to the reef but once in the lee of Low Island, itself only about ten foot above high tide, all was quiet.

We donned our lycra swimsuits (photos being kept under close guard) and collected our flippers, goggles and snorkel. Luckily the boat carries prescription goggles, the same as Lyn's spectacles so she was able to see and not use this as an excuse not to go in the water. We were transported from the catamaran to the beach at Low Island by glass bottom boat and got a tempting glimpse of the coral. Once on the beach we crawled into the sea and put on our fins and goggles and away some off us went. With three crew and only seven passengers we received an almost one to one instruction on how to snorkel and what to look for. The less experienced were towed via a life ring by one of the crew. Despite a shaky start Lyn was coached by Mel and Joe and soon was snorkeling and was rightfully proud of herself. Dave started with a cough and a splutter but soon got the hang of it. It was like swimming in an aquarium with multi coloured fish of all sizes, turtles hiding in the coral, clams a metre long and coral of all shapes and colours. We had said on the boat that we wanted to find Nemo. One of the crew spotted him and directed us to his home. So we can report that he is save and well.

Before returning to the catamaran for lunch we were given a short tour of the island. Two caretakers live on the island which has an automatic lighthouse and weather research station and a study centre supported by a local university. Not bad for an island you can walk around in less than ten minutes.

Back on the boat we spotted sharks looking for titbits. Apparently this is quite common, they know where the free grub is.

Following a scrumptious salad lunch with so much local fruit never mind the five a day we must have had enough for fifty today. The

more adventurous went for a second snorkel from the beach while we went for a glass bottom boat trip. On the sandy ledge before the coral we saw stingrays. Low Island is notorious as the place where Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, died after being stung by one in the heart. We were able to see deeper coral and had a very detailed description of how coral is formed and survives on the reef.

Back to the boat for tea and cakes and then quite a bumpy trip back to Port Douglas.

Back at the apartment around 5pm, the now customary dip in the pool followed by tea and biscuits. Another great day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb