Day 20 - Travel to the Great Barrier Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Great Barrier Reef
July 26th 2011
Published: July 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 20 started with an early wake-up to catch a boat for a 2 night/3 day live aboard. This is a boat that will travel around the Great Barrier Reef that you do multiple dives from and sleep and eat on. We got a taxi to the Hilton to drop off our luggage for when we return and walked over to the boat that would take us out the Great Barrier Reef. We found the boat no problem, but were still skeptical of how this would all work as we had been given such conflicting information from our travel agent and the booking company. We boarded the boat and there were a number of people on board that were just there for a day trip. It also became blatantly obvious that this was not the boat we would be living on as there were no rooms. We finally got the understanding that this boat goes out about 90 minutes to the live aboard boat that stays out at the reef all of the time for years at a time. The boat also provided day trips for those not staying overnight so it was a bit crowded. The weather of course was still quite cold considering this was supposed to be the warmest part of Australia. The temperature was in the low 70’s but the wind made it feel much cooler. The boat trip out found some amazing hump back whales that were breaching. We saw 3 sets. One set was a mom and baby and another set came so close to the boat that all you had to do was look over the rail to see them. It was almost like they wanted to put a show on for us. It was really amazing to be that close to them.

Ninety minutes later we arrived at the reef and could see our new accommodations anchored off in the distance. They loaded up all of our luggage on a small boat then they loaded the passengers along with a bunch of food and supplies for the live aboard. We headed over in some very choppy water to the live aboard and were pretty wet by the time we arrived. We got our brief and introduction and then were showed our rooms. At this point we realize there is a family on board and staying the night with 4 boys, ages 12-2. We are still not sure who would think a small live aboard boat would be fun for a 2-year-old. But what do we know we are not parents. Our rooms were nice, but not exactly like the brochure. They must have been in the 1 deluxe room on the boat. They announced that the water was open but as we had not received our scuba brief we could only snorkel. The winds were pretty strong, and it did not look fun. As snorkeling is 100 times harder than scuba in the amount of energy it takes, we by-passed this first water session. Lunch was shortly after and we have to say the cook is very good and serves American size portions (huge).

Finally after lunch we get to do our first dive. The anxiety for Chester is starting to build now as this is her first ocean dive since being certified in May. There was not a large number of divers which is always nice. So we got geared up and decided since this would be more of a confidence builder for Chester we would not get a guide for the first dive. So in we go and off to see the Great Barrier Reef. Chester was a bit anxious underwater but got better by the end of the dive. Kirsten did realize that this was causing Chester to use her air about a twice as fast. So some adjustments had to be made for future dives. First dive was pretty disappointing as far as things to see. The reef was really pretty but visibility was not great and not much sea life. Kirsten gave Chester some quick hints after the dive to try and ease the anxiety.

After this dive we moved to a different part of the reef. We were on the top deck near the wheel room. As we arrived at our new site we were just hanging out watching them tie up the boat. Well let’s just say that it was not a smooth one. The captain and we later found out the owner of the boat, John from California, was not pleased. He proceeded to scream at the crew that they were doing it wrong, what the hell were they thinking, if they kept this up it would be the last boat they throw a grapple on. We just laughed and tried to figure out what crew members he was screaming at. The captain looked at us and advised that we were not supposed to hear that.

Now ready for dive No 2. With one under the belt, Chester was a bit better on this one with air consumptions but still not relaxed enough to actually look at the reef and sea life. But again, not a lot of sea life to see and visibility was not great again. But better than a day at work. This dive was followed by dinner. Another good American portion size meal. Then we are ready for our night dive. These can be amazing dives but the first few times for everyone are a bit scary. And for Chester this was no different. By this time it is getting pretty cold every time you put on another cold wetsuit but once you are in the water it is warmer than outside. We decide to get a guide for the night dive. The diver was really nice and some of us (Kirsten) saw a few turtles and lobster. Chester was not aware of anything and just focused on seeing everyone ahead of her so she didn’t lose them. The guide was not the best as we think he thought it was a race. After the night dive and a warm shower we got some dessert and a glass of wine. As there is not really anything to do at night, so we hit the sack pretty early. The seas were a bit rough so the rolling of the boat should have helped us fall asleep, but Chester slept very little.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb