0.0054 Leagues Under the Sea


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Great Barrier Reef
June 28th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

One could probably contest the exactness of 0.0054 leagues...but it's really a hard distance to nail down. At one point, a league was defined as the distance that a person, or a horse, can walk in 1 hour of time (usually about 3.5 miles or 5.5 kilometers). It has also been expressed as 3 nautical miles (or about 5.556km). But who's really going to do the conversion anyway? Actually, I can think of... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Me and My Dive Buddy, EmmaMe and My Dive Buddy, Emma
Me and My Dive Buddy, Emma

My dive partner was a silly English girl named Emma who thought that one should eat baked beans for breakfast and that muffins were not meant for breakfast. Crazy English.
The TakaThe Taka
The Taka

This was the dive boat where it all happened. This was my first 5 minutes back on solid ground...which still felt like it was swaying for the next 3 days.
FishFish
Fish

This one also falls into the category of a type of fish I would have looked up on the boat...but I was too sick to look at books.
Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Thumbs Up

Had I known how poofy my hair looked underwater...I might not have given the thumbs-up.
Cod FeedCod Feed
Cod Feed

That's me on the left trying to take a photo of the Cod during the feeding session.
CaveCave
Cave

I was actually semi-asleep on the Taka during this dive, but swam through a similar passage in a later dive.
Sea CucumberSea Cucumber
Sea Cucumber

This is the Pineapple variety.



5th July 2007

Robert's Jealous!
Good stuff, Marc, except for the sea sickness - sorry to hear about that. The GBR is one of those places Robert has dreamed of diving on. Again, guess we'll all have to live vicariously through you and your adventures! The pics you included on the blog are great. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us desk jockeys.
5th July 2007

WOW!!
Hey Marc! Awesome pics from the dives. I am so jealous! One of my life's goals is to visit Nemo, too. Hope to ground has stopped for you by now. :)
5th July 2007

never there when needed!
Sorry I couldn't make it to hold your head, but you really would have fought me off, just like T-ball days! You got through! Glad I hear all these reports post-fact; much more enjoyable. Enjoy the Earth and its relative solid state.
6th July 2007

Engineers......
1 league = 3.000 006 027 mile 1 league [nautical] = 3.452 338 344 I was looking up the conversion before I finished te first paragraph.....sad but true. Jim
8th July 2007

Sig-Digs
Jim - thanks for not skimping on the significant digits on that conversion. Are you sure you can't go out to 15 decimal places?
24th July 2007

GB Reef
Hey Marc, I did the vom under water too. Can't remember if I pulled the reg out or not. Anyway these experiences make one appreciate feeling good even more. the Pix of the Cod toward the bottom of the blog looks like he's got one of the diver's head in his mouth and is swimming away. It would be fun to be on the trip with you. Oh well, the next best thing. Marty.
21st March 2022

Nemo was found.. many of them
Had no idea you enjoy diving!! It’s pretty neat to read these entries 15 years later. When you mentioned you were too seasick for books on the boat- it struck me that we didn’t always have the internet at our fingertips, eh?

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 94; dbt: 0.0899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb