Gold Coast Part 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast
February 11th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We finally arrived at Brisbane after a quick change of plane in Dubai then a dash to the duty free in Singapore (for Sonny’s ciggies). Kathryn and Roz were there to meet us and took us to Nerang to Kathryn & Sonny’s lovely house. Half way through the journey we agreed to stop at the famous pie shop as it was suggested but we didn’t really feel like stopping. However as we entered the pie shop 2 familiar faces jumped out! It was John and Rona (my brother and sister in-law from Canberra)- they thought they would pop up to Brisbane to see their grandchildren and drop by to give us a surprise. After a bit of a chat we headed to our temporary home. Roz made the first of many cups of tea. After catching up with some sleep we sampled Sonny’s BBQ skills (delicious prawns). Whilst out in the garden area Sonny asked me whether I wanted to see one of the biggest pests in Queensland. He then moved a bag of compost and revealed a big ugly cane toad. Sonny then said now you’re going see how we kill them. He grabbed a gardening knife and whacked it. After looking at the horrified look on my face he explained how they can kill dogs. I still don’t think I would have the stomach to do it myself but if anyone hurt my 2 little precious dogs I may think about it!!!

The Nerang station is close to their house so as we had a few trips to Surfers Paradise while Kathryn and Sonny were at work. On Thursday we had a great day with my cousin Sue and her lovely boys Shane & Jayden. Considering we had never met before the day went off very well indeed.

David, Kathryn, Roz and I went off to the Currumbin wildlife park on Friday. We had a great day, I couldn’t believe we could actually stroke the Kangaroos even the ones with little joeys in their pouches- they all seemed so docile. We caught a little train to the other side of the park. David wanted to see the crocs but unfortunately it was slightly cool for them to feed (not that it was cool for us!). The bird show was fantastic but the highlight of the day for me was when I got to cuddle a Koala!

Woke up to a Sunny morning the next day so the four of took a cab to the Gold coast Turf club. A good day was had by all but only Sonny backed a winner.

Sunday was a busy day as our hosts took us by car to Carrara markets. It got very hot wondering around the colourful stores but we’re able to buy some nice souvenirs. I would have loved to have bought a few paintings for my home but I don’t think they would have fit in our suitcases! Back home for 5 minutes to freshen up and then off to Southport where we met Sonny’s mum Maree, sister Melissa, brother Scott and his girlfriend Amber. We went to a very nice seafood restaurant and had a delicious meal. I reluctantly tried Morton bay bugs but was pleasantly surprised as they were actually a small crayfish and tasted lovely. On the way back Sonny took us to The Spit where David bought some massive fresh prawns direct from the trawlers. Then Sonny stopped to buy some big juicy T bone steaks from the wholesale butchers.

Well we’re going to sample those prawns just now and then tomorrow morning we fly out to Sydney.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Kat & RozKat & Roz
Kat & Roz

On the day we arrived
The BillabongThe Billabong
The Billabong

Outside the complex where Kathryn & Sonny live
Koala BearKoala Bear
Koala Bear

During our visit to the Currumbin Wildlife sanctuary


19th February 2008

Wish we were there!
Hi Beryl and David, I have loved reading all about your holiday and can't wait for the next installment. Love Wendy xx
19th February 2008

wow
Wow it looks amazing, you are so lucky i would love to cuddle a Koalal bear and stroke a Kangeroo. I bet it was nice to see Kathryn and Sunny again now that they have settled in. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay. Lots of Love and kisses Robyn from the UK. xxxx

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb