Sailing the South Pacific : A Summary


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Surfers Paradise
September 17th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

a summary -- there wasn't all that much to the actual sailing really. i mean it wasn't like you see on the tv during the america's cup race with guys on the rails and cranking on sails screaming at each other. we could go long hours without adjusting a thing. also, with the trade winds blowing rather consistently and our sailing direction suitable in using those prevailing winds, it made "sailing" the boat convenient. plus, with the modern technology of gps and george (our auto-pilate), we would simply plug in the coordinates and press 'go to'. it was all pretty elementary but then again it WAS a real nice boat. so i got lucky as well. and the aussies i traveled with... i couldn't have asked for a better mix... again, very fortunate.
now then, life aboard... the boat was on a consistent varying angel which could and would quickly change from a mild slant to where you felt as though you were falling out of the sky. sometimes this occurred while you were in a deep sleep only to awaken enough to know 'this can't be good' as you go tumbling out of bed and slam into the chart table before ending up on the floor. or it happened as you were pouring boiling water for a 'cuppa' and you burn a finger. my elbows and knees became tender all over from the constant bracing of an awkward body in motion. especially (!) in the bathroom where it's smaller than an airline toilet. i had to brace myself with all four limbs just to stabilize enough to do my business which never came easily... one can not eliminate very well in a tense state. and taking a dump, forget about it! it was the most strenuous exercise i got on board. i'd come out of the bathroom sweating and out of breath. it was ridiculous!?! but eventually, i adjusted accordingly and overcame... mostly.
all in all, it was a lot like rv'ing though. there just wasn't any getting off in between stops. there was heaps of downtime as well. ever stare at the sky long enough to notice how incredibly bizarre our sky is... i mean, it's blue! maybe too much downtime for a sober mind. but my favorite time was during the nightwatch between the hours of 3am and 6 where the ship was mine to command in solitude. on moonless nights, the sky was brilliant and shooting stars became a dime a dozen and the sea was shrouded in absolute blackness. you could almost "feel the weight of the stars." on those nights. when the moon was out, if it was even just a sliver, the light was a nice companion to have. but i gotta tell ya... there wasn't much human existence out there... our longest interval without spotting anyone, day or night... nine days, nine (!), without seeing another soul on the water. just a whole lot of sky and ocean out there. we were completely detached from the rest of the living world in the middle of nowhere... sailing a boat. it was perfect.


Advertisement



18th September 2008

from other side of the equator
Hi Ray, nice to hear that you are safe, having the adventure of a lifetime, and still pooping. I remember having the same thoughts as you about the drains on this side of the equator. I love reading your stories, please keep writing. I miss you around here; the ER is not the same without you, especially on weekends. Take care. Ana Bananarama.
19th September 2008

Surfers Paradise
Hi buddy, good news: all of us have now a job on warner village theme parks (Nora, Franceska and I in Sea World and Soeren in MovieWorld) We have free entry in all parks and we got free tickets for friends each month... if you want to see a park.. let me know;) So.. where are you now?? Nice regards.. Toni

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb