Surfers' Paradise


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Surfers Paradise
April 19th 2007
Published: April 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A bit of a crazy name for a place, but that's the Australian Way. And so is bad grammar, as they have no apostrophe in the name.

Surfers' is totally different from anywhere else we've stayed in Oz so far. The town is littered with high-rise apartment blocks that shadow the beach after about 4:30pm, so it's not ideal for sunbathers (Dan) and the beach itself is huge, but the waves were tiny, more like an inexperienced surfer's paradise.

We stayed at Aquarius for the first night, and then moved on to Trekkers. Aquarius was mine and Dan's favourite as it had a 50" Plasma and huge leather sofa with dolby 5.1 surround, and 365 dvds to choose from for free! Trekkers got Will's vote because the room we were staying in had an awesome 4 poster bed that, yes, Will got to sleep in. He seems to be very lucky when it comes to picking out beds, having managed to nab the double room in the Fernbank 2 years running. We got the last laugh though, as he had to sleep on the floor when we changed rooms for the last night.

Surfers' doesn't offer a huge array of things to do during the day apart from chill on the beach, and day trips to water parks and theme parks, that we decided to skip them to save some money. The nightlife is absolutely crazy though, a bit like the greek islands or tenerife. We went on 2 hostel organised bar crawls that included the usual free drinks and photos etc. but the nights were almost too busy, still, fun nonetheless. If you have a look at my pics on getjealous (www.getjealous.com/doublehard) you'll see the famous surfers' paradise arches, the gateway to the beach.

After the carnage of the nightlife at surfers, it was time to carry on moving, next stop, Byron Bay.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb