Byron Bay to Surfers Paradise!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Surfers Paradise
March 25th 2007
Published: March 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Byron Bay BeachByron Bay BeachByron Bay Beach

Very tropical to look at, love this beach!!!
Well I've fitted in a nice long essay on Surf Camp so I'll try and keep this one to the point, although my abilities for waffling and chatting may defeat me so beware!! I think I mentioned we were dropped off from Surf Camp in Byron Bay. Our hostel here was pretty cool! There was a pool, it was small but still a pool in a hostel was a bit of a novelty! And it was right next to the beach, which was accessed via a random passage way which went through some bushes, over a railway line (disused! before you panic mom! lol) and through some more bushes to get straight on to the beach! A lot of the people from Surf camp had been allocated there and most of the ones that weren't relocated over so lots of people to chat to, few great communal meals and the odd evening drinks either staying in or out to the random bars of Byron.

The town itself was really nice! We did notice that it was quite hippy but added to the charm I think. The streets had a lot of hippy shops and there was this small park
Burying Bruce!Burying Bruce!Burying Bruce!

He was slightly reluctant at the time, but fun for the rest of us on a late afternoon on the beach!
at the top end of the main street which had someone playing a digeridoo most evenings. Quite random! However, despite the hippy vibe, there were some nice bars, the best by far was probably the Beach Hotel. It was right on the beach, a massive open space with a nice outdoor bit and they had random live acts play there every few nights. The beach here was amazing, one of the nicest I've seen so far! We went on a sunrise trip one morning, and the views of the beach and its surroundings were spectacular! I dont think the pictures always do it justice, you feel so mesmerised by the sights!

As it was quite a small place, we didnt get up to too much here. It was mainly relaxing on the beach, and chatting to the people who were still around from Surf Camp, and the fun guys who we met in Sydeny!! I have to add though we did make a random trip to Nimbin though! One of the most random places I've ever been too! (I'll try to stop using random soon!) A very strange, small hippy town! We got to go on a little walk
Out on St Patrick's DayOut on St Patrick's DayOut on St Patrick's Day

Unfortunately jo had a moment of camera-shyness. A nice evening around the bars of Byron Bay with the friends we'de met in Sydney
around a nearby national park, jump in a lake/waterfall and have a BBQ for dinner, so it was a fun trip!

After Byron, we travelled to Surfer's Paradise for a few days. We managed to stay in the same hostel as most of the friends we'd made so far which was fun! The hostel was quite different as well, in addition to a pool (which was much larger here!) we had hotel facilities, spa, bar, pool and sauna. It really started to feel like we were on holiday! This being aided by Surfer's being a real holiday town. I can't say I really liked it as it was really tacky. If I say the bar with our hostel was called 'Vegas in Paradise' and 'Hardrock Cafe' was about 2 mins away, I think you'll get the idea. The only options you had to do here was sunbathe, go to the nearby theme parks, and go out drinking in the evenings. There wasnt much character at all! We managed to have fun with the people around and the beach and the bars were quite nice so it wasnt a wasted stop on the coast!

Well I think I'll end it there, I believe I fitted in another essay! sorry! hope I'm not boring you all now! Take care!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



11th April 2007

yay pictures of us guys, so impressed we made ur blog :-)
11th April 2007

Travels
Love the photos of you on Sydney Harbour Bridge. Shame about Harold in Melbourne, sometimes it is nice to keep ones fantasies but it just goes to prove that the ones who play badies are really lovely and the ones who play goodies are really..yes well!! The Blue Mountains look wonderful as does Byron Bay Beach. You can keep the spiders though..any spiders. Keep on having a great time although you may have another 'Canberra' but those come under the heading of at least you have seen it and can swiftly move on. Looking forward to your next entry. love Davida

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb