Road Trip to Emerald QLD


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Emerald
June 14th 2013
Published: July 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Walcha NSW to Emerald QLD


Over four stops we travelled 1200 kms north into QLD. Straight up Thunderbolts Way to Goondiwindi then continued north on the Leichhart Hwy until we turned west at the Tropic of Capricorn. With each day the weather was milder. Finally we were able to unclench our tight frozen muscles and relax in the sunshine of 24 degrees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Over the BorderOver the Border
Over the Border

Made it to QLD., Goondiwindi. Only spent one night here and managed a lovely hot artesian bore bath to sooth the weary travelling bones.
Wandoan a Mining TownWandoan a Mining Town
Wandoan a Mining Town

One night stop over here.
Wandoan Camp SpotWandoan Camp Spot
Wandoan Camp Spot

A lovely parkland where RV's are encouraged to stay overnight. We had the place to ourselves.
A Walk Around the LakeA Walk Around the Lake
A Walk Around the Lake

The parkland had paths to follow and enjoy the view.
Pelican FeedingPelican Feeding
Pelican Feeding

Looks like a good size fish it has caught.
Sunrise at WandoanSunrise at Wandoan
Sunrise at Wandoan

I really enjoyed our stopover. A pretty reserve even though the town itself was quite dead.
Moura Moura
Moura

Another stopover at Dawson River. This was full of Grey Nomads. There are a lot of these places to stay near rivers. Often they are extremely flood prone.
Bedford WeirBedford Weir
Bedford Weir

This is about 25km out of Blackwater. Blackwater is a huge coal mining community.
Mackenzie RiverMackenzie River
Mackenzie River

Our camp was on the far side of this shot. Another free camp site but set up like a caravan park with a caretaker and a lot of rules. Very busy place.
Even a Herb GardenEven a Herb Garden
Even a Herb Garden

The caretakers were quite lovely and allowed us to use their herb garden. They also put on a soup and dessert night. Delicious. We stayed 7 nights here.
EmeraldEmerald
Emerald

Only spent one night in Emerald but had a good look around. It was bigger than I had imagined.
Giant EasleGiant Easle
Giant Easle

Based on Van Gough's Sunflower painting to represent the region as a sunflower producer.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb