Emerald Gem fields and Cape Hillsborough


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Emerald
September 10th 2009
Published: September 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Yeppoon and ended up in Emerald by about 2.30. On the page of the map i was looking at it looked as if we were about a quarter of the way across Australia but when looking at the big map we were only about 10%, Australia really is a massive country! We arrived in Emerald and it was absolutely boiling, instead of over heating in Clyde we decided to try go into Sapphire and RubyVale and try and get me a sapphire nose stud made, We were too lazy to actually fossick for the stones so bought a very cute little sapphire for the bargain price of $14, unfortunately the shop that could set nose studs was shut so it's in the bag ready for a trip to the jewellery quarter on our return! There wasn't really that much to do or see in Emerald and as time was running away with us we only stayed one night and then headed back to the east coast. The roads were just so long and straight and fair play to Tel, he has been brilliant doing all the driving; i seem to have lost my bottle a bit as it's been so long! From Emerald we picked a lovely capsite situated in a National Park to spend a day or two soaking up a bit more of the Aussie outdoor life. Again we had some brilliant neighbours, kath supplied us with homemade fruit cake and Anzac biscuits and Kelly and Leigh on the other side were full of useful information and brilliant company, it was an absolute pleasure to spend a few days with them. Although we have seen some amazing places it's been the people we have met along the way that have made all the difference to our trip and the Aussies are pretty cool. We spent a couple of days enjoying the wildlife at Cape Hillsborough and putting the world to rights with a few too many beers with our lovely new Australian friends and then decided it was time to move on to Airlie Beach. We were sent on our way with more cakes and biscuits and lots of offers of accommodation if we ever come back to Aus. We couldn't have asked for more!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 82; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb