A Good Day to Travel....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cardwell
April 12th 2007
Published: April 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

New words:

Wobbly, an alcoholic beverage.
Bitumen, the asphalt road.


Our last day in the Cairns area we checked out of our hotel and went to pick up our new home for the next 2 weeks... the campervan! Travellers keep in mind that when dropping off the car there is about 30% in service fees and taxes. Also, that you will receive a better price if you prebook the car. The campervan rental is the same whether in person or prebooked via the web.

By 11:00 am we're on the road. Because we started out late we only plan to drive about 250 km to Cardwell.

Cardwell is a very small seaside town. We stayed at the Beachcomber. It was a clean campsite that offered the usual camper kitchen, BBQ, shower and Bathroom (always called Toilet never bathroom) facilities. We took a 2km walk into town (10 small shops.) Stopped and samples some of the local fare: cold prawn & avocado sandwich and Barrumundi and fries.

On our stroll back along the shore there were several warnings to not linger along the waters edge that there had been saltie sightings. I am starting to think that all tourist should be handed a T-shirt in the departure lounge of the airport that states: I survived Australia and on the back list the dangers! Locals don't like to talk too much about the snakes, jelly fish, spiders, crocs, sharks, etc... They think it is all hyperbole and that all the warnings are over cautious. Just a couple of days ago young man was stung by a jellyfish; he'll be in the hospital for a few weeks. Or a couple days before that the salties spotted on the beach, so I'm not so sure its an exaggeration.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb