Blast Off


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
August 28th 2011
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -16.1, 145.46

It wasn't as tough maneuvering a Spaceship along the wrong side of the road as I thought it might be and we made our way north along the coast almost incident free until we arrived in the heart of Cape Tribulation. Along the way we learned that it was something of an obligation to wave at anyone else we saw driving a Spaceship, and it was equally important to not wave at those driving any other rental vehicle (of course, the Grey Nomads wandering all through Australia with camper trailers firmly in tow, had to be acknowledged with a subtle wave just off the top of the steering wheel).

The folks in Australian tourism bill Cape Trib as the oldest rainforest in the world and the only place where a rainforest meets a beach- I don't how true any of that is but it is certainly a beautiful part of the world.

We booked a night safari through the forest and saw all kinds of strange and unique critters and followed that up with a boat safari in the morning to hunt (photographically speaking) some massive Salty's- we were learning that Aussies had a lot to say in a limited amount of time so they simply shortened any lengthy word or phrase and added a vowel. Salt Water Crocodiles became Salty's in much the same way a barbecue became a barbie, and the way Saturday afternoon became Satavo (??). Back to the croc's- the ones we did find were dozing along the banks of the river which was a good place for them since they had to be the biggest crocodiles I had ever seen.

A quick lunch and walk through Daintree Village and we were back on the road again waving at all the right people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



10th September 2011

Hi to the crocs!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb