Bloomfield Falls


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
August 15th 2010
Published: August 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today I went on a tour with Tony's Tropical Tours up to Bloomfield Falls. Our driver Dave was a font of knowledge and loads of fun, pointing out all sorts of birds along the way and explaining lots of plants and history of the area. It was a pretty long day - I was picked up at 7.10am and we hit the road to collect the other guests - 5 others in total. Our first stop was at the Daintree River where we did a river cruise with Bruce Belcher's Daintree River Cruises. We saw quite a few smaller crocodiles, and a couple of tree snakes and different birds. From there, we headed further north towards Cape Tribulation, stopping at Alexandra Lookout on the way for photos, and then we had morning tea and had a quick wander on the beach. We looked for Rex, who is a large (over 1m) lizard that apparently lives around the picnic tables. I've heard about him every time I've been there but never been able to see him, and we didn't see him this time either. Beginning to think he's a myth, but Dave assures me he's real. From Cape Trib we were back in the car and headed to Bloomfield Falls. It's the first time I've seen the falls, and they were pretty impressive considering its dry season and there isn't much water at the moment. Would've been a fantastic place to swim, but the resident crocodiles put an end to that! From there we went to Stingray Bay and looked at the lovely beach and the 'lone soldier' mangrove tree. There's actually a few 'lone' mangrove trees, so its a bit strange, but I took photos nonetheless. From there it was to a private property for a bbq lunch, which was really nice. While there we were able to swim in a beautiful (and freezing) swimming hole in the river. After that, we headed home and stopped for exotic fruit icecream. I had a really great day, mainly because Dave was such a great tour guide. I'd recommend Tony's Tropical Tours if you're ever in the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb