Onwards to CapeTribulation and the Bloomfield Track


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
May 8th 2010
Published: May 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we left Port Douglas and drove to Cpae Tribulation. On the way we stopped at Mossman Gorge, I had read it was a good place for a swim and it really was beautiflul, the problem was neither of us had our swim stuff with us so we just rested on the rocks for a while and watched everyone else enjoying the fresh cold water.

Cape Tribulation is in the Daintree National Park which is one of the oldest rainforests in the world and dates back to when there was one supercontinent before Australia broke off into its own continent millions of years ago. We have to get a car ferry over into the park, which I am glad about as there are constant croc warnings and I wouldn't fancy wading in this river to see how deep it is.

We stop off at the Daintree conservation centre where we did a rainforest walk, they have walkways set up at all different heights so you can really feel part of the surroundings. There is also a tower you can walk up to get right to the top of the rainforest canopy. We saw a little baby crocodile here and a big lizard, but both were in cages unfortunatley.

Just a short drive on to Cape Tribulation which we had read about in our guide book, we actually drove right past it as it is so small :-) The campsite is good, right on the beach and it has a bar which serves hot food so no pot noodles for us tonight! The beach is very beautiful and completely deserted but no swimming here as crocs are everywhere. The camp is full of butterflies and they are massive some of them as big as small birds, it really feels a bit more wild now we are getting further north.

We get up early to drive the Bloomfield track, this is a 4wd road only and we have to cross over lots of creeks and there are really steep ups and downs to negotiate. We get to one creek crossing and Shenton didnt see the sign saying go slowly as water level may be changeable so he guns it through and at one point the water was right up on the bonnet and we nearly went floating off dwon the creek! But all was well and we managed to make it out of the track ok.

We pass by a place called black mountains which are really spooky looking, they are a sacred place for the Aboriginis basically they look like a mountain of coal but they are made by volcanic activity that created these granite bolders, they only came to the surface through ground movement and slowly over time they have been pushed up to make these massive black mountains. The boulders themselves are not black lichen has then covered them to make them appear black.

Not much further and we reach our stopping point for tonight of cooktown.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Check out the water on the bonnetCheck out the water on the bonnet
Check out the water on the bonnet

We only just made it across this creek!


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb