Cape Trib


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
February 11th 2009
Published: February 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Daintree RiverDaintree RiverDaintree River

On a croc search
Painfully early the next morning, as the boys headed south we went about an hour north to Cape Tribulation to explore the rainforest. We had a tour planned for us which involved rainforest walks and a croc search on the daintree river! We got local insight into the wildlife and different plants and trees on the way. Unfortunately we didn't end up seeing a croc because they we smart and hid from the heat haha. But we did see a kingfisher! When we eventually ,made it to PK's hostel that afternoon we were happy to spend the rest of the day in the pool. It was a really unique hostel with seperate little huts and an open/outdoor kitchen. We met some Irish friends from our hostel and headed to the bech that night. The walk down to the beach was through a creepy, long boardwalk through a completely dark rainforest with all sorts of strange sounds surrounding us... a little terrifying! Sidenote - this is actually one of the few areas in Australia where the rainforst and the Grest Barrier Reef are in the same area. We joined a group of people on the beach who were singing and playing guitar under the moonlight. It was so amazing, we just sat on the sand and complete enjoyed life, it was so relaxed and... well amazing. There were also a few people showing off with fire batons, and for a lack of a better way to describe them, little balls of fire on chains that they swung around. It was surreal!

After a good night's sleep we headed back down to the beach early in the morning to do some yoga befor eit got too hot. It was just the two of us with the instuctor and one other lady practising yoga under a beautiful old tree. We both agreed that this was the life! That afternoon, we decided to head out on our own journey, suprise suprise, back down to the beach. We meandered towards the river on our own croc search, but unfortunately, we didn't have any sightings! However we did enjoy the long walk beside the river spotting some crazy birds and enjoying the mangrove forest.

On the Bus ride back to Cairns, we stopped at Mossman gorge for a quick swim. This is a beautiful part of a river where the water rushed through a series of large, round rocks. It was so beautiful, and the water was sooo cold... thank god! We also stopped in the area where Steve Irwin was killed, the guide basically pointed waaay of in the distance and said it happened 'out there'. So sad.

We spent another night in Cairns in order to catch a morning bus to Airlie Beach... Whitsunday Islands here we come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cape Trib BeachCape Trib Beach
Cape Trib Beach

so beautiful!
Jennie in a TreeJennie in a Tree
Jennie in a Tree

this is where our yoga class took place the next morning! so beautiful!
PosingPosing
Posing

thats right


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb