Australia - Waiting to work


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
February 26th 2010
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cairns, what can i say. When we arrived we unpacked Apollo Creed at our hostel, Castaways, and went to give him back. We drove for about five minutes and then had to walk back. It was a scorcher and a long walk but we made it. With our hostel like many others in the area offered a free meal at the Woolshed, this was the backpackers place to be in Cairns. There were 4 choices of free meal and they were ok, i mean food is food but you can only take so much. That night we met Matthias on the free shuttle to the centre of town. We ended up being good freinds and eating together everynight. The free meals were spag bol, chilli and 2 veggie options. I think i tried all if them and they were all crap. You could however upgrade for $5/7/8 and get nachos, steak, ribs ect which we did a few times. The drinks are expensive in OZ but we did partake in a few sneaky drinks and it was the first time i had tasted cider since South Africa and i welcomed the sweet taste of Strongbow.

We initally moved to the east coast to look for work so we set off on a mission to get a job. Our hostel had free interent so here we spent most of our first day emailing and looking at job sites. We headed down to the lagoon as the weather was lush and we needed to top up our tans. We strolled around the marina and headed back for a bbq lunch. Craig was a natural on the barbie and we had an amazing double burger with fried egg and onions, mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! We spent a week in Cairns manly looking for work and waiting for our mail to arrive from Adelaide. We booked a tour for Fraser Island and the Whitsundays and chilled out. We made the decision to go diving in Cairns as it is the great barrier reef and we would have regreted it if we hadnt gone whilst we were in OZ. So we hired an underwater camera as ours would not work below 10m and headed out with Cairns Dive Centre. The staff were really nice and there boat wasnt too bad. We only wanted to do a day tour so we got two dives included. The first dive we opted for a guide but the second we wanted to venture off by ourselves. The only problem we faced was that Craig used up his air alot faster than me. On the first dive he had to surface after 30 mins were as i stayed down for 45 and still had O2 left. On our second dive the water visibility was not too good but we did manage to spot a turtle and named him terry. We took a few photos and left him to get back to his grub. We managed a 35 minute dive and did some snorkling at the surface.

Valentines day came around and we went to the Woolshed were Cairns Dive Centre was putting on free beer and pizza, luckily we ate our free meal before they brought the food out as there was hardly enough for 2 poeple and i had one small slice of pizza and Craig got half a half of beer, so that was a waste of time. We stayed around for a while and had a few more drinks when the specials were on and got BOGOF. It was our last night with Matthias and we were really going to miss our games of president and asshole. Matthias left the next day and we booked the premier bus to take us south towards Brisbane.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb