CAIRNS!!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
July 11th 2009
Published: July 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Woop made it to Cairns. Went from Magnetic Island (was sad to leave) to Mission beach so Siov could go rafting. I decided to book onto do 2 dives on Saturday, was a disaster. Got ill on Friday evening (suspecting a fish burger but I don't know) but still went on the trip. It was cold(ish) on the day and we had a 90 minute boat ride through the roughest conditions I think I've ever been though. At one point 5 people were throwing up (luckily not me) and I was being propped up by an Italian as all the younguns had given up the seats to the oldies and we were attempting to stand. Got to the reef and mentioned to the guide that I take ages to equilise, he asked why (either sinus problems or a broken nose) I said a broken nose, he asked to see my dive medical (I don't have an in date one) and so refused to let me dive. This was after I'd put 'no' next to about 5 things that should have been a 'yes' on my medical declaration, so it wasn't really my day! I was not impressed, snorkeled a bit and the reef was good and luckily very shallow. Saw lots of big fish but the currant was strong and it was cold. Spent the rest of the day cold on the boat sulking before the joyful return journey.

That evening drove to CAIRNS!!! Very exciting, our last stop in Australia. Was a beautiful drive during a spectacular sunset, definately the best I've seen in Aus so far. Lots of sugar cane fields and just before Cairns (by this time it was dark) we pulled over to watch a forest fire that had dramatically spread up a mountain nearby. Was stunning and was so nice to drive into Cairns!

Cairns is nice, just another town really. It's full of backpackers but dead during the day whilst everyone sleeps of hangovers and really comes alive at about midnight. It's nearly impossible to get accomodation which we've not had a problem with at all during our time here! Spent a day in Cairns (not much to do) and a day at Palm Cove, a beach to the north. Did a trip up to Cape Tribulation and Port Douglas for the night. Cape Trib was tiny and jungley, nice but not a lot going on. Driving there was really pretty, the road hugged the coast line and then suddenly you were in the Daintree rainforest which was rainforesty and beachy. Came back down to Cairns the next day via Port Douglas again, which is just a really upmarket (expensive) tourist destination. Didn't see a crocodile in the wild which was probably a good thing but was also slightly disappointed!

Done the last of the long drives in Australia, quite pleased, I can now rant for about 20 minutes about how awful Australian drivers are. They have it so easy, it's almost impossible to get lost, the cities are easily planned out and the roads everywhere are wider, straighter, with less cars and people drive more slowly and still they can't cope! Giving the car back was a good day! Glad to see the end of that.

Went diving yesterday, was great, 1000000 times better than on Mission beach. The company were much more proffessional and yet fun at the same time. Had a really good dive guide, it was her last day working for the company so she did all the dives in fancy dress - was great, meant you couldn't loose her! Saw a white-tip reef SHARK!! Turtles and some amazing fish, the reef was good and got some good photos!

Leaving for New Zealand tomorrow morning and really excited!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb