We got here!!! ... and a few other things...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
June 20th 2009
Published: June 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi everybody,
We made it! The jetlag was not as bad as we thought but the lines (plural) in the Sydney Airport were worse. Also, watch out for those fruit-and-veggie police in customs. They took away our carrots, one bruised apple, a bag of sunflower seeds, some melted cheese, and a half a raw zucchini, and threatened us with $220 in fines. Luckily that was 220 Aussie, so really only about $175. Whew!

We're staying at a great little hostel just outside of the main tourist area called Cairns City Backpacker Hostel. We'll be here for the 20th and 21st (Aussie time) and probably we'll come back here on and off when we're not staying in nearby towns.

Last night we walked down to the main drag and had a great Thai meal, then to the beach where we saw a fire dancing display by Cycas Circus. Jershon and Silmarien were both entranced. Today we found the local foods market and sampled all sorts of cheese, sausage, jams, chocolate, spices, and a "chocolate pudding" fruit. Most of us thought the chocolate pudding fruit looked sorta suspect but Erin was braver.

We stayed and watched a cooking demonstration which got drowned out by the nearby live owl and crocodile demonstration. Silmarien got to hold the baby crocodile 4 times!! Crocodiles are cool to the touch, dry and smooth and very soft underneath. We also ate Greek yogurt with cherries which was yummy.

Then we found the other local market and bought lots of produce and a steamed banana (it turns pink!) in coconut sticky rice and black beans, wrapped in a banana leaf, while listening to Klezmer on a clarinet.

Pictures coming soon...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb