Cairns Tropical Zoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
July 10th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Thu 10th Jul

Today we decided to visit Cairns Tropical Zoo. We won't bore you with every last detail of the day, but some of the highlights were:
- The amazing cockatoos and parrots; one in particular was shown off in the 'free flight' demonstration, where he performed a variety of tricks. At the end, to raise money for the maintenance of the zoo, he would take coins offered by people as they left, and swiftly place them in a slot in a donation box!
- Cuddling a koala; and also visiting the maternity section of the koala house, where there were several babies just being as cute as it is possible for anything to be.
- Feeding the wallabies (food provided by the zoo!), and stroking them too. They were surprisingly approachable.
- A parrot who wanted nothing other than the back of his neck to be scratched. He just followed you around until you did it!
- Discovering that the 'weird birds' we saw in Sydney were actually Ibises, and seeing one frighten the c**p out of a 3 year old when he turned around to find one staring him in the face, and swiftly found himself on his bum!

In the evening, went into Cairns and had a very ncie Indian meal. Did a little shopping. Walked back. On the way, we saw a helicopter on the helipad by the esplanade. We waited a while to watch it take off, about 100 metres from us. Windy!



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

SANY0486SANY0486
SANY0486

Eagle in flight
SANY0492SANY0492
SANY0492

Cockatoo taking donations


12th July 2008

I am soooooooooo jealous - i love koalas, but never got to hold one :(. Looks like you are having a great time. Have fun guys!! xx

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb