Cairns - Final Destination, Oz


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, we've actually made it, all the way from Sydney to Cairns (and beyond, if you include Port Douglas!). Our trusty 007 Wicked van didn't let us down once, and although the ride has been a bit of a bone-shaker, it's been fun - an education!

We've been chilling out here in Cairns for the past few days, staying at the pleasant Lake Placid Tourist Park. Cairns is a really nice city, with a superb huge lido overlooking the beach, where everyone gathers to sunbathe and swim. And you can get an almost tidy ice-cream in town.

We've done the touristy bit here in Cairns, with a trip up to Kuranda village on the Kuranda Scenic Railway, and back down on Skyrail, a rainforest cableway. The railway line up to Kuranda is an amazing feat of engineering. And the Lichmeister's ears pricked up when we were told the towers holding up the Skyrail were brought in place by helicopter to minimise the disruption to the rainforest.

And typically in our last week, we made the wonderful discovery of custard apples - a knobbly looking green fruit that tastes of really sweet pears and custard. Lich can't get enough of them and even prefers them for breakfast instead of biscuits, so they must be good. They only grow in a tropical climate and the fruit spoils very easily if it gets too cold, so we're not sure if they're sold back in the UK - haven't noticed them in the supermarkets there. Shame as they're lush!

So we're spending our last day in Oz eating as many custard apples as we can, and cleaning out the van ready for handing back to Wicked tomorrow ($100 charge if you take the van back not put through the car wash or vacuumed!).

The end of another leg of our round the world trip. On to Singapore tomorrow, for 4 days, and then to Ko Samui, Thailand...

...Wonder how many more times 007 Shaken will make it up and down the East Coast?


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Lich's 2 New LovesLich's 2 New Loves
Lich's 2 New Loves

... custard apples and his new Billabong shorts.


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb