Cape Tribulation Rainforest Safari


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
June 14th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On our second day in Cairns we went on "Safari" into the Rainforest. We visited the Daintree River, taking a cruise downstream where we spotted several crocodiles and a load of tree snakes.

We took a walk round the rainforest looking for Cassowaries and learning about the various foliage.

We got a little closer to nature during our BBQ lunch, when a Huntsman spider (the biggest in the world - this one only the size of a fist!!) crawled up Dom's leg and towards his head. In his haste to get rid of it he brushed it on to Bex, who luckily didn't realise it had been on her until it was swept off - otherwise there most definitely would have been tears.

After lunch we went for a swim in a nearby creek - of the 10 people in our group, we were the only ones to brave the cold water! It was well worth it though as it was very refreshing.

Our last stop before home was to the tropical beach at Cape Tribulation, unfortunately no swimming was allowed due to the Box Jellyfish! Cape Tribulation is so named because when Captain Cook sailed by he struck a reef and nearly sank his boat, Cape Tribulation being the place where all his troubles began.

On the way home we stopped for some home made tropical fruit flavored ice cream - needless to say Bex was in her element.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The Cassowary fruitThe Cassowary fruit
The Cassowary fruit

The Cassowary, an endangered bird, similar to an Emu, eats this fruit. We didn't see a Cassowary unfortunately as they are fascinating. They have a bone sticking out of thier head to attack prey with!


19th June 2007

blah
you two should go and visit hartley's creek its brilliant, tthey have charlie the crocodile who is the longest held crocodile in captivity. and you get to hold the crocodiles and snakes etc its mint
19th June 2007

Hi there, It looks as if it is raining in the rain forest...was it..... Mum x
20th June 2007

Random
Suprisingly Mum, it was raining in the RAINforest! hahaha!
20th June 2007

Duncan?
Is this Duncan Clay? we miss you xxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb