Our First Aussie Encounter


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
February 11th 2009
Published: February 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Fancy ToesFancy ToesFancy Toes

Australian's love their neon colours! this is Em's new amazing nail polish haha
We had finally arrived in AUSTRALIA!! Brisbane was our first stop, and we first went to an area called 'The Valley'. We spent a few nights here, trying to orient ourselves and figure out a plan for Australia. Our first night we were so tired from travelling we decided to be hermits and head to bed early. A lot of people in this hostel had been there a long time and they seemed to be great friends. We became more social the second night and got to know a lot of great people who we had hung out with our whole time in Brisbane.

We decided to head to the city centre for the rest of our time in Brisbane, simply because it was easier for us to get around and there was more to see closer to town. We moved to a 'Base' hostel for 3 more nights, which is a very common hostel in Australia. It had a completely different feel then our previous hostel though. It was much bigger thus the people didn't get to know each other as much. However, we still managed to meet tons of amazing people. Irish people were particularly our favourite!! They're loud, fun and outgoing!! We love it.

We didn't completely connect with the town of Brisbane. It was more of a city and we were especially excited to get to the beaches, of course. While we were there, Em spent most of her time applying to graduate schools, because she wanted to get it over with. We also explored the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary where we held Koala's for the first time. True tourists! It was so amazing to be exposed to all of the different and unique Australian animals and from this point we were encouraged to see more in the wild! One day we also went to the lagoon to soak up some sun rays and we saw true Aussie tans for the first time. There was tons of shopping to explore in Brisbane, we were very excited about our lives!

For the rest of our time we started planning on where and what we wanted to see in Australia. Visiting many tourist companies, we decided to take a place up to Cairns. Talking to Koza and Jordan (Em's friends from Orillia), we found out they were flying from Sydney to Cairns just a few days
Bats!Bats!Bats!

This is at the long pine koala sanctuary, unfortunately both our cameras were dead, so we could only take a few pics.
before us! We were very excited to see the real beaches, explore the great barrier reef and meet up with lifelong friends!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Bats againBats again
Bats again

theres are HUIGE bats that fly around EVERYWHERE it's freaky! they're called flying foxes!
Koala!Koala!
Koala!

Our first koala! many more to come i promise!
JeanJean
Jean

cheeky bugger eh?


11th February 2009

NOOOOOO
Don't take away the pictureeessss !!!! :P P.S. u aren't anywhere near the fires are you? I hope you're both alright <3 love youuuuuu xoxoxoxo

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb