Sydney Part 2 and Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
July 26th 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, our last couple of days in Sydney weren't too taxing.... We checked out a couple of bars in the evenings (complete with some Australian lager which actually wasn't too bad!), visited a local market and revisited the Botanical Gardens to see some bits that we missed (and soak up some of the fabulous sunshine). We also went back to the Opera House to get a better look around as the huge crowds of pilgrims prevented us from getting so close the first time around. From what we could see of the inside its far less impressive than the outside, which is actually composed of a mix of small cream and white tiles and reflective glass sheets...definately best viewed at a distance!

We were quite sad to be leaving Sydney as we had such a great time there, the hostel was really nice and we met some really nice people! However, on Monday we caught the overnight train to Brisbane.... sleeping on a train is not fun! When we arrived we were very excited to see blue skies once again and an even warmer sunshine. unfortunately though, it turns out that Brisbane and the Sunshine coast are not always quite so sunny! Nevertehless we persevered and explored the city centre by foot (its really tiny!), took a ferry ride along the river and hoppd on the sight seeing bus. Brisbane city doesn't quite compare to Sydney but the suburbs are full of cute old-fashoined houses known as Queenslanders, which have single storey living areas raised on stumps (and are usually made of wood).

We also managed to get out of the city to visit Emily's Uncle in the town of Redcliffe, on a peninsula about 35km north of Brisbane. He drove us to the crazy -ooking Glasshouse mountains and through the towns of Mooloolaba and Caloundra on the coast. The surf at the beaches was huge!...the biggest I've ever seen! and the sand is very fine. Even though the weather wasn't that great we saw lots of people surfing. On the same day we took a walk through one of the rainforest parks and saw many interesting trees, several types of native bird (including yellow-breasted robins) and a pademelon (sort of like a pygmy kangaroo...very cute 😊 ). We packed a lot in one day, but even though it was a whirl-wind tour it feels like we've had a
Bats in Sydney's Botanic GardensBats in Sydney's Botanic GardensBats in Sydney's Botanic Gardens

There are hundreds of bats in the gardens roosting in the trees. We were lucky enough to see a few flying around, even though it was the middle of the day!
good look around the area.

Tomorrow we'll be getting the train further north which I'm really looking forward to ...though not the journey which is our longest stint at 22hrs! We'll be in the tropics by Monday morning so that will be great!
More soon!
Kx x


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Us reflected in the Opera HouseUs reflected in the Opera House
Us reflected in the Opera House

Emily and I with Ido and Steve, who were staying at the same hostel.
Mangrove WalkMangrove Walk
Mangrove Walk

Brisbane City Botanic Gardens
The Glasshouse MountainsThe Glasshouse Mountains
The Glasshouse Mountains

These were formed by Volcanoes (which are now all extinct!)
Glasshouse MountainGlasshouse Mountain
Glasshouse Mountain

The rock has eroded to leave only the volcanic core.
Fig Strangler TreeFig Strangler Tree
Fig Strangler Tree

These trees parasitise other trees, growing around them until they die and rot away to leave a hollow trunk to the fig tree.


26th July 2008

breathtaking
So you have nice weather there? It's really hot and summery here in England, and so far in my experience, all of Nauture's efforts are needed for that, leaving the rest of the world with crappy weather... I'm glad tha Australia seems to be immune. :) Those The Glasshouse Mountains look absolutely stunning! Wow, more envy than before (if that's even possible...) Hope you survived the 22 hours trainride! Good luck!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb