Carols in the City


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
December 9th 2007
Published: December 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

La la la la la la la la la la la

la la

la ....

After about 15 years of wanting to go to the Carols held in the Botanic Gardens in the city, we finally went. We decided the girls were old enough to sit through a couple of hours. We left the baby and daddy at home, so it was just a girls night. As the clouds cleared up, we got our chairs and bags, blankets, pillows etc and lined up to be some of the first into the River Stage. We even got a free CD for being their early... yeah right on!!


I got to see some, lets say semi- famous people - Anna Bligh (Premier of Queensland), Campbell Newman (Lord Mayor), James Morrison (famous trumpet player) Marina Prior (Singer/theatre) and of course winner of Australian Idol Guy Sebastian!! However the one we were most excited about was Ranger Stacey (numerous tv shows) as she was right near us with cameras and the whole deal. I had to walk right next to her to take one of the girls to the toilet (it was so crowed there was no other way out!)
Girls Self portaitGirls Self portaitGirls Self portait

it was a hot walk, so excuse our faces :)
We were hoping to get on tv, but those cameras were just for closing in on Stacey!! Oh well.


The night was fairly interesting, as it was run by the city Tabernacle Baptist Church it was all very Christ based which was good, but perhaps a little over the top. A few too many sermons and not enough singing. I told the children that they would sing fun songs and santa would be there so they were rather eager to sing their favourites of Jingle Bells, Rudolf, Santa Claus is coming to town etc. However the carols are now run by the inner city baptist church and there was none of the above, so about half way through the eldest is staging a boycott, saying there have been NO FUN SONGS.. this is just for grownups 😞 All these years we have been watching these things on tv, there is always santa and kids songs, but no, not the year I convince my kids to go with me!! typical! So we had a very Christian experience instead. There was lots of praising and hallelujahs going on.


We had the following singers: Queensland Pops Orchestra, Childrens Choir,
Dippin Dots - IcecreamDippin Dots - IcecreamDippin Dots - Icecream

I was so excited to see these, previously only available in the USA... though my mum said they have been here a while!
The Idea of North, Christmas stars winners, Roc fish, Colin Buchanan (apparently of playschool, playhouse and Aria fame), Quartets, Silvie Paladino, James Morrison, Marina Prior, Guy Sebastian. The girl who won the christmas Star Comp (singing comp, winner gets to sing at the carols) was only 16 and she sang the Song "There can be Miracles" ( I think that is what it is called) the song from the Disney movie "Prince of Egypt". I love that song and she did it really good. Marina Prior did a awesome job singing "O holy Night" I got goosebumps. We got to join in and sing along with one song with each of the "stars" We sang Hark the Hearald Angels Sing, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Silent Night, Once in Royal Davids City, Ding Dong Merrily on High, The First Noel. So my vocal cords got a bit of a work out!


I think all up it was a pretty good night. We said "well tick that box, don't need to do that again" But as with most Christmas Traditions, you forgot during the year how torturous it was and when the next Christmas comes around, you subject yourself
Daytime Shot of StageDaytime Shot of StageDaytime Shot of Stage

while we had to wait for 2 hours
to it all over again!! So see you next year at the Carols 😉 Have fun singing this Christmas season!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

BalloonBalloon
Balloon

one of the many released during the night
Roc FishRoc Fish
Roc Fish

apparently Australias leading Christian Kids group???
TempleTemple
Temple

I got to spend the night looking over at the temple lit up - Pic doenst do justice, it looked awesome
The man himselfThe man himself
The man himself

i think a lot of people came to see Guy Sebastian - have to wait 4 hours to hear 3 songs!
AsleepAsleep
Asleep

halfway thru they announced a boycott - this is boring and fell to sleep!
Bad photo of Ranger StaceyBad photo of Ranger Stacey
Bad photo of Ranger Stacey

we were so close, i was trying to take it on the sly - didnt want to look like an idiot - the photo was blurry, but i didnt have enough guts to do it again!
What you do when you are boredWhat you do when you are bored
What you do when you are bored

after 3 hours she decided that this show was for adults and that there wouldn't be any "fun" songs


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb