Bushwalking... or more precisely: our first rainforest exploration


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
November 26th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

mount glorious

mt glorious

This Sunday Ryjan and I joined the local bush-walker group of Toowoomba; we headed E-NE to the state forest and national park Mt. Glorious for finding some old plane wreck; the last 20 km up in the rainforest are very pleasant for bikers keen on driving serpentine; the view is fabulous up there! it was really rainforest-feeling (as it rained just the day before)... an impression I could not have imagined at first place. To the West of the park, there are some big dams/seas, that hold much of the reserves for Brisbane city, and also the Brisbane river has its source there.
Although we put on sunscreen and repellent on the outset of our trip, the mosquitoes were very aggressive, and 2 people of the group also got some leeches on their feet sucking blood; after 50m of gravel-street, we got on some fairly 1km trail, surrounded by very lush vegetation and creeks - (currently) without water; and afterwards, the fun/adventure began! we totally got off-track, searching for this plane-wreck; our guide had just a vague direction of one guy who once found it, and their GPS-tracking systems did not work very well below thick tree-tops; we marked our way back with stones and other stuff. the slopes at the range were really!!! steep! unfortunately we did not find the plane, but that was no problem for anybody... what would we have seen? just some old steel plates... but our guides were sure, that we have missed them only for approximately 200 m! but this is quite a distance off-track! back at the cars we shortly relaxed, and then drove to the top-most of the range for taking some coffee and scone (= some fabulous sweet and warm bakery, served with home-made butter and honey); next to the cafeteria there was also one of the most fantastic places for living I have ever seen! a house with a porch only surrounded by the rainforest; hopefully I can join the bush-walkers next weekend for another 2-day trip at the coast... let's see. this really was an unbelievable tour!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb