Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
May 29th 2007
Published: May 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Cutest Koalas everThe Cutest Koalas everThe Cutest Koalas ever

There were several baby koalas, all as cute as this one
After over three weeks in Queensland we finally reached the capital - Brisbane. It's a very nice city set along a river, we walked through the botanical gardens (where several very large lizards blocked our path whilst they basked in the sun) and then along the river bank. There are several fountains, cafes, pretty buildings left over from expo 88, museums and even a lifeguard tended artificial beach, plus a great view of the sky-scrapers on the other side of the river. We drove up to Mount Cootha which has excellent views over the city and popped in for a cup of tea with one of Kathy's distant relatives who co-owns the cafe/restaurant at the top.

We stopped in Brisbane for an extra night to get our Chinese visa's and spent the extra day at a koala sanctuary. There were masses of koalas, they had all the groups in separate enclosers - eg retirement home, kindergarten - the best of all were the mothers and babys though. There were all exceptionally cute! see photos. We got to cuddle a koala as well, she was very soft and posed for the camera but seemed a bit snoozy! The koalas are allowed to be held for 30 minutes each day to allow them to rest a lot. I think they work 3 days on one day off, pity our working hours aren't like that! The park also had a selection of other Aussie animals. We finally saw a Cassowary, and from the size of him I was glad we hadn't come across any in the northern rainforests. The kangaroos were a bit lazy. Kangaroo food was available for feeding them but we didn't have any so we wandered up, they smelt our hands, realised there was no food and lost interest. Other animals included lace monitors, fresh water crocodiles and kookaburras.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Koala cuddlingKoala cuddling
Koala cuddling

Us and our new friend Bertha
Kangaroo FeedingKangaroo Feeding
Kangaroo Feeding

The kangaroo smells Trav's hand suspiciously
LizardLizard
Lizard

This lizard was basking in the sun at the botanical gardens - he's missing a back leg (maybe someone trod on him?)
KookaburraKookaburra
Kookaburra

Didn't notice these kookaburras until they all started laughing really loudly


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb