Surfers Paradise and Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
June 14th 2007
Published: June 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Byron we travelled to the Gold Coast, arriving at a city called Surfers Paradise. I for one was really surprised by the size of the place. I expected a small town like Byron not a city complete with neon and skyscrapers. The place is pretty tacky really. Its clearly a modern place and many of the buildings just look fake. Like something you would see in a Disney land resort. Its pretty hard to explain without pictures. Again like most places up the east coast, Surfers is a party town. The night after we arrived we signed up for a club crawl around the city. This turned out to be a really good night and we more than made back the cost of our ticket with free entry’s and drinks in all the places. It was basically the same as an 18-30’s night out in Spain only in Australia.

Unfortunately the weather was really bad while we where there. Apparently at the time Australia was suffering from the worst winter on record with 4 low pressure systems back to back. The previous record had been 3, just my luck! Being the Gold Coast there wasn’t really much to do when the sun wasn’t shining! Trips to the cinema and laundry detail helped to kill a few hours as did the PS3 in the TV room. The day we left surfers it cleared up though and we had just enough time before our bus to check out the theme parks in the area, the biggest in Australia. Two of the best rides in the park were the Tower of Terror, a 119 meter high structure which winched a load of seats to the top then dropped them without warning to the ground in 4.5 seconds. Anther was based on the same tower. It had a track running horizontally up to the base of the tower, and then it rose vertically up the tower to the top. A car was shot from 0 to 90mph almost instantly up the track then back down again.

On the way to Brisbane we stopped at a Zorbing place. Zorbing is a lot of fun. It basically involves 3 people, a massive inflatable ball and 50 gallons of warm water. You enter the Zorb from a small hole in the side into its warm wet womb like interior before you are flung down
The glass house mountainsThe glass house mountainsThe glass house mountains

named my captain cook, apparently they reminded him of a glass foundry back home?
a hill at break neck speed. The experience can only be described as a re birth. Certainly unique.

Brisbane is all right but after Sydney and Melbourne it’s really nothing special. This seemed to be the general consensus around the backpacker circuit. I only spent 2 night their one of which was a night out. Same, same!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Clubbing againClubbing again
Clubbing again

Brisbane has some good clubs if your into that sort of thing.
A big prawnA big prawn
A big prawn

various big and taccy things are dotted along the east coast of Oz.
Street jamminStreet jammin
Street jammin

Brisbane is definatley a party city
The tower of terrorThe tower of terror
The tower of terror

One of the better rides at dream world. This ride plunges 119 meters in 4 seconds. Sky diving here I come!
The VortexThe Vortex
The Vortex

This ride spins sticking you fast to the side. Needless to say I felt pretty sick by the end of the day!
Worst gig ever!Worst gig ever!
Worst gig ever!

This guy sat outside our hostel all day and did nothing but stomp and blow.
ZorbingZorbing
Zorbing

The only thing I can equate the zorbing expirience to is being born!


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb