Brissssssie


Advertisement
Published: February 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey fans!
After a mammoth 16 hour bus trip I made it to Brisbane, and on the way I saw the Big Banana and the Big Prawn (the ozzies like to make massive statues of random things and call them tourist attractions) Unfortunately my welcome party had dwindled from 3 to 1, just Stef as the others were so excited at my impending arrival they were busy vomitting (so excited that they drank to excess on the eve of my arrival)
My new home for 2 long weeks was to be at Banana Benders (that's what they call Queenslanders). So Brisbane is pretty cool, a very pretty city, clean and hot but not without the thunderous downfalls. Banana Benders is also home to a family of possums, which think nothing of snuggling up and begging for scraps from the dinner table. I know, sounds awful, but they're really quite cute. Unfortunately with pennies running out, theres not too much to do in Brisbane and so we (I) have invented some ingenius ways of spending our time. Other than the long lie and leisurely breakfast, a wee rest lunch and so on there is the now tried and tested 'hide the peg'. Becky the wally pins towels up against the bunk at night because its 'too cold' (nonsense) and so I had the great idea of hiding them all over the room, on the fan, attached to other people in their beds ( sorry jill - i think i damaged her finger...) anyway, you get the gist. Then we have 'hide the thing'. Everyone but one person leaves the room, and one object is removed from the room and hidden then its a game of hot and cold till someone discovers whats missing.
Other ways of passing the time involved strolling the South Bank Parklands and the (fake) beach, or taking time out at the art galleries (just me) or the museum. And of course the pub. I've taught all the girls to play the pokies, no major wins yet though. We took a tour of the XXXX brewery, free samples at the end! And I've tried out a good few of the ozzie beers and have decided my favourite to be XXXX bitter, very drinkable. However the low-carb Pure Blonde comes a close second, just for its healthy qualities!?
And finally after 2 weeks of hanging around Brissie and we have a job. We're off on a bus tomorrow to a wee wee wee place called Thulimbha, to pick apples for a farmer named Doug. So far I've discovered the village has one shop called Lots of Goodies. No sign of a pub, but for sanity's sake I hope to find one tomorrow.
Sorry for the lack of photaes this time round, the internet here sucks.
Toodles
xxx

Advertisement



24th February 2009

Contact
Wahaaaaay!Finally a blog to tell us all you're not up to much!! bet you're looking forward to earning some dosh although it won't be easy-believe me.I worked on a farm for a summer and it was back breaking work. Anyway enjoy!!xxxx no its not beer!
25th February 2009

Hi Nicola, great to see your are still having a great time. Love reading your blogs. It's the annual Real Ale Festival this Friday...it won't be the same without you missy. Although i'm sure you won't miss ales with a hint of herbs that leave a lingering bitterness with hoppy aftertaste! Yum. Will have a few for you. Take care x
27th February 2009

Keep the Blogs Coming!
Good to hear that you are fit and well albeit devoid of PH for the time being. Hope you can persuade your 'cous' to engage in a few wee libations and embibe on her BDAY. Keep the Blogs coming - best wishes from Grant, Bev and the Bairns.

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb