Bowen


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bowen
July 24th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

3 July - 6 July

Bowen was a really pleasant surprise. We had both heard nice things about the town but I am learning to take all recommendations and cautionary tales with a grain of salt because our fellow nomads have plenty of time to form strong opinions that don't necessarily align with ours, and they aren't shy about sharing!

Bowen is a lovely country town that just happens to be located on a stunning stretch of coast. It has lots of attractions like the big mango, which the tourist guide tells me cost $90,000 - money well spent. Bowen is known as the mural town........because there are lots of murals. All joking aside, it's a fantastic place and we had a great time there.

And little wonder, we were walking in the hallowed footsteps of Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman as quite a bit of the movie 'Australia' was filmed in Bowen. The local bakery have a Hugh Jackman pie made of 'hunky Aussie beef' and like the man himself it was delish! It will of course be renamed the Ben Davis hunky pie as his presence caused more of a stir than that of a big
Happy much?Happy much?Happy much?

A man, his dogs and his fishing rods.
Hollywood star.

Benny was paid the ultimate caravaner's compliment when, after performing a van reversing miracle on the first attempt, our neighbour asked him to reverse his rig into a new site. Ben, while flattered, respectfully declined as the neighbour's van is probably worth almost as much as our house and we didn't want to tempt fate.

We really hit our caravan park stride in Bowen and had happy hour with a few of our neighbours. The caravan park crowd has been great fun and they have awesome stories to tell, many of them quite bawdy which has proved to be a pleasant surprise. Maureen, you know I'm talking to you!

So it's thumbs up for Bowen from Ben and I. I think what sealed the deal was the local barber shop which proudly hangs a sign that reads 'Specialising in mullets, undercuts and flat tops'. Gold.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Travis at the beachTravis at the beach
Travis at the beach

Enjoying some beach time before we head further North into real croc territory.
Mural-tasticMural-tastic
Mural-tastic

Spot the 21st century imposters.


Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb