From Brisbane to Byron via Australia Zoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Australia Zoo
June 8th 2008
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After an evening in Brisbane and a night in a pretty bad hostel, we were heading to Australia Zoo! Our tour guide, for the journey there and back, had worked at the zoo before and was a family friend of the Irwin's. He should us a DVD of Steve Irwin's life on the way there and a picture of him, Steve, Steve's wife and a Tiger! Once we arrived at the Zoo, we could tell that it wasn't like any other Zoo. One of the keepers was taking a Wombat out for a walk, on a lead, around the public paths! We headed for the elephant feeding and had our pictures taken whilst feeding the elephants a tasty carrot! Next we raced to the 'Crocoseum' to watch the Crocodile show! The show started with a snake display and they informed everyone on what to do if you are bitten by a snake. One guy was even swimming in the pool with one! I think you needed to be as crazy as Steve Irwin to work there. Next up was the Bird display. They had the birds flying from different points in the stadium to certain places in the crowd, diving into the water to catch bait and one bird could even play dead! Then the grand finale came....Norman the crocodile made his way into the arena! He moved very slowly and they told us that he was actually stalking the keeper who was presenting the show to us. In his 10 minute display Norman was jumping for food and snapping at the keeper's heels. It was very impressive. After our Croc show we headed to the Kangaroo enclosure, where the Kangaroo's bounce around next to you! It was a great experience being able to sit with and cuddle a Kangaroo. At one point Dan was becoming very annoyed with a little girl as everytime he went to have a picture taken with a Kangaroo, she ran up to it and scared it! It was quite amusing. After this we saw some more elephants and a couple of Tigers. I then had the chance to go into a Wombat enclosure and get up close and personal with 5 little Wombats. This was my second favourite part of the day. They were like little pigs and made very funny noises. They each had their own bowl of food with their name on it and at one point a fight broke out between Grimey and Hefty. This was becuase Grimey tried to eat Hefty's food! Hefty bit her hard on the back and she went charging off accross the enclosure. After the Wombat encounter we headed to my favourite part of the day, which was.....cuddling a Koala! Bit gay I know but they are very cute! We each got to hold the Koala and have our picture taken with it. After seeing a few more Crocs we headed back to our Tour Guide's bus and set off for Brisbane. We watched the rest of the DVD and both Dan and I agreed that it was very sad Steve Irwin was dead and that we would never get to see him acting so passionately about every animal ever again.


Once we arrived back in Brisbane we had just under an hour till our bus to Byron Bay, so everything was a little rushed. We arrived in Byron at 9.30pm and checked into our hostel which was opposite the most talked about bar in Byron...Cheeky Monkey's. We met up with our old friend Lucy, from Fraser Island, and headed to the bar. It was ok but very cheesy! However this didn't stop the schooners flowing and we ended up having a good night. We didn't do anything in Byron other than relax and I think we needed it. We hadn't stopped since we arrived in Oz, so it was nice to do nothing for a couple of days. I even managed to watch the new Indianna Jones film! Very strange movie. After our second night in Byron we were catching the Greyhound to.....Sydney!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



17th June 2008

World Cup
Have you had much time to watch the footy? oh has Dan falling in love yet with any of the girls you have met? Keep the good work up lads Lee

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb