Is THAT a Tawny Frogmouth?!?!?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Mataranka
June 18th 2012
Published: July 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

SnorkellingSnorkellingSnorkelling

The water was nice and warm. We were excited to use our new (used) snorkelling gear!
Mataranka was a pretty sweet camping spot. In the morning as Majeed prepared our morning coffee, he noticed a funny looking branch that turned out to be a Tawny Frogmouth bird! And his partner one branch up! They are these really amazing birds that become still as a branch, and look just like the branches except for their crimson red eyes.



After sharing our discovery with fellow campers, who all came by to "ooh and aah", we headed out to the Mataranka natural hot springs. They weren't really hot, just warmer than you'd expect. We brought our snorkelling gear and did half of it face down and half of it floating with our heads out of the water. It was beautiful and cleansing.



After walking back to the car and changing into our dry clothes, we hit the road and headed towards Tennant Creek, site of the oldest pub in the NT.



Scroll down for more pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Tawny frogmouth!Tawny frogmouth!
Tawny frogmouth!

Wow. Wow. Wow. We actually thought that the bird was dead. Then we saw his partner a branch up and asked our camping neighbours if they knew the scoop!
Can you spot the Frogmouths?Can you spot the Frogmouths?
Can you spot the Frogmouths?

Turns out these birds weren't dead but rather sleeping. Excellent camouflage! You can click on this picture to make it larger.


30th July 2012

Cool pics!!!!

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb